- • Understand and model the Girls Inc. mission – “inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold.”
- • Direct and supervise sports and fitness activities to meet Girls Inc. objectives.
- • Develop strategies to motivate program staff to be active along with the girls they are teaching.
- • Encourage and/or increase girls’ sense of fun as it relates to sports and fitness.
- • Monitor and evaluate program quality.
- • Be available, visible, and approachable to girls and staff.
- • Engage girls and support their fitness goals.
- • Work in a fast-paced environment. Respond to all inquiries – whether from fellow staff, contracted teachers or coaches, girls, parents, community partners, or volunteers – in a timely, professional manner demonstrating the values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- • Complete and submit all necessary paperwork to supervisor (includes but not limited to facility schedules, timesheets, outcome reports, grant reports, and contracts for coaches and teachers).
- • Work closely with the Director of Operations to facilitate the rental of the Girls Inc. gym.
- • Understand, enforce, and adhere to Girls Inc. policies and procedures in a consistent manner resulting in efficient, professional operations.
- • Attend all staff meetings, trainings, and conferences as required.
- • Assist with the cultivation of collaborative relationships with community sports and fitness partners.
- • Effectively function as a member of the Girls In. staff team. Maintain cooperative working relationships with supervisor, other Girls Inc. staff, volunteers, partners, and vendors. At Girls Inc., we want girls to be active every day and to enjoy physical activity. We want girls to be able to try different physical activities – competitive, noncompetitive, indoors, outdoors, alone, with friends, weightlifting, yoga, biking, hiking, walking, running, soccer, basketball, volleyball, organized gym games, free time on the playground, and more – to find the ways they enjoy being active. The Sports & Fitness Specialist is responsible for the development, organization, and implementation of all Sports & Fitness programs.
- • Enforce safety regulations for gym and fitness center use. Create new policies and procedures as necessary.
- • Work closely with the Director of Programs to research and choose physical fitness curriculum.
- • Student Management o Maintain a productive classroom o Utilize appropriate student management techniques o Work with staff team to address classroom challenges and any challenging behavior from girls
- • Manage the Sports & Fitness budget.
- • Maintain regular and sufficient attendance.
- • Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- • Well-developed presentation and writing skills.
- • Strong organizational skills.
- • Excellent interpersonal skills.
- • Cultural competency – the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, races, ethnicities, countries of origin, religions, and sexual orientation.
- • Strong problem-solving skills.
- • Youth development knowledge, with a gender lens, as it applies to sports & fitness, body image, strength, risk-taking, and self-confidence.
Experience, Education, and Certification(s):
- • Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent strongly preferred.
- • At least one year of successful related experience.
- • Hold CPR/AED and First Aid (must have within 90 days of hire) and any necessary job-related certifications.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with the hands or arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, move a maximum of 35 lbs., speak clearly, see, and hear. The employee is required to sit at a desk and use hands and fingers to operate a phone and a computer, and to perform other daily office functions. Hours of Work Generally, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week. Hours may include occasional evening and weekend work (especially as it relates to competitive sports games).