The primary purpose of this position is to serve as an Air Reserve Technician (ART) Airplane Pilot in the unit aircraft. Position also accomplishes a variety of administrative duties related to flight/mission accomplishment such as scheduling, mission planning, operational training, and mission management. Position is a restructured position. Upon successful completion of training requirements, satisfaction of time-in-grade requirements and a display of successful performance, the incumbent may be noncompetitively promoted to the target position of GS-2181-13 Airplane Flight Instructor. Incumbent of this position will perform the following duties: Operate aircraft as a fully qualified, mission-ready pilot in the unit aircraft.
Execute the duties and responsibilities of an aircraft commander.
Represent the unit by participating in discussions, meetings or serve on panels or committees.
Perform other duties related to flying and accomplishment of the unit operational and training mission.
Applicants must meet the flying hours requirement below, qualify for a USAF Pilot Rating, and be currently qualified (within the last 36 months) as an Airplane Pilot in a flying component of a U.S. MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT. (Active Duty or Reserve)
Flying Hours Required:
Airplane Pilot, GS-12
-Must have logged 900 hours pilot time, in a military fixed-wing aircraft. Must be currently qualified in the unit aircraft.
NOTE: Flying hours logged as student pilot are creditable. Flying hours in fighter/training aircraft will be given two-for-one credit by the examining office (Student hours will not be doubled).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position may or will require incumbent to: (1) Obtain a background security investigation to determine suitability for employment and/or a security clearance. (2) Formulate, determine or influence policies of the assigned units. (3) Aircrew and management duties may include stress (both mental and physical), exposures to extreme hot and cold temperatures, gravity forces of three to seven depending on aircraft to which assigned as well as the typical risks or discomforts involved in flying any aircraft through combat maneuvers, night aerial refueling, low level flying and other tactics, and short notification for accomplishment of immediate action items directed by unit supervisors/higher headquarters that must be completed before the duty day ends. (4) Be a mission-ready, rated aircrew member on flying status in unit to which assigned. Must participate in regular and frequent flights as required by the commander. Periodically, as prescribed by regulations, must take and pass standardization/evaluation examinations which consist of both written tests and actual flight performance to demonstrate flight knowledge and abilities required of the position. Must pass physical examination and meet annual flying requirements. (5) Be entered in instructor upgrade training when qualified with gaining unit training regulations. (6) Meet and maintain Air Force Reserve requirements. Incumbent's regular assignments are primarily ART duties: however, the incumbent is assigned non-ART duties not to exceed 30 percent of total responsibilities. As necessary, to meet special or essential unscheduled activities, may be required to work an uncommon tour of duty with brief advance notice. (7) If you are selected for an ART Officer position, you will be required to sign a mobility agreement prior to appointment. (8) Some positions covered by this announcement may be designated as drug testing positions where the incumbent may be subject to random drug testing. (9) Incumbent is subject to the normal pressures, deadlines, and other conditions inherent in this position. (10) Some positions under this announcement may be covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, click here for an overview benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
The salary provided in this announcement fall under the Special Salary Rate Table #0558. Please visit http://apps.opm.gov/SpecialRates/2017/Table055801012017.aspx to obtain Special Pay Tables.
However, the salaries for the locations identified on the Special Salary Rate Table fall under the GS Salary Table which will vary depending on geographic area. Please visit http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2017/general-schedule/ to obtain Local Pay Tables for these geographic areas.
- Preferred Military AFSC: 11XX
- Candidates are encouraged to provide a copy of their military experience and training (VMET) documents with their resume in order to expedite recruitment efforts. Visit the Transition GPS (Goals, Plans Success) website https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/tgps/ to obtain this VMET information.
- For more information visit the Air Force Reserve Special Examining Unit website at http://www.afrc.af.mil/AboutUs/JobOpportunities.aspx.
- Individuals on active duty may apply 120 days before separation date and should indicate in their application their military separation date. Individuals with more than 120 days before separation date must submit with their application a letter, signed by their commanding officer, stating the individual will be released from active duty (Palace Chase) if they obtain an ART position. Reservists who are mobilized may submit a copy of their mobilization orders or a statement in their application stating they are available within 120 days.
- Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must rank in the Best or Highly qualified categories to be considered well qualified for the position. Federal civilian employees seeking ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.704. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of the most recent Performance Rating, and a copy of the most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as an ICTAP eligible.
- Spouses of active duty military members of the Armed Forces may receive preference in hiring under this announcement if they are among the best qualified referred and are within reach of selection. For information on military spouse preference, please refer to website https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/veterans-authorities. Please clearly identify in your application that you are asking for spouse preference.
- All Federal Employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.