Have you made your New Year’s resolution yet? If not, AIM Careerlink is here to help: Seek out and hire a US Veteran in 2014. Best of all, there are plenty of reasons to back up why this would be a good corporate decision. Statistics show in 2012, 21.1 million individuals in the civilian population (age 18 and over) were Veterans. Among those, the unemployment rate for men was 6.9% and 8.3% for women. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation recently launched a new campaign called Hiring Our Heroes. The objective of this campaign is to engage businesses to commit to hire half a million Veterans and military spouses by the end of 2014. Hiring Veterans is not only a good idea, it’s just good business. Here are a few compelling reasons why your company should consider seeking out a Veteran for your next employment opportunity:
1. Accelerated Learning Curve – Veterans have the proven ability to learn new skills and concepts quickly. They can enter your workforce with identifiable and transferable skills, proven in real-world situations.
2. Leadership – The military trains people to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation, and inspiration. Veterans understand the practical ways to manage behaviors for results, even in the most trying circumstances.
3. Teamwork – Veterans understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one’s colleagues. Military duties involve a blend of individual and group productivity.
4. Diversity- Veterans have learned to work side by side with individuals regardless of diverse race, gender, geographic origin, ethnic background, religion and economic status. They have the sensitivity to cooperate with many different types of individuals.
5. Effective Performance – Veterans understand the rigors of tight schedules and limited resources. They have developed the capacity to know how to accomplish priorities on time, in spite of tremendous stress.
6. Technology and Globalization – Because of their experiences in military service, Veterans are usually aware of international and technical trends pertinent to business and industry. They can bring the kind of global outlook and technological savvy that all enterprises of any size need to succeed.
7. Integrity- Veterans know what it means to do “an honest day’s work.” Prospective employers can take advantage of a track record of integrity, often including security clearances. In the words of Rep. Jeff Miller, Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, “They kept their vow to us, now it’s our turn to vow to help them!” AIM Careerlink is proud to be a part of helping Veterans in this region find employment by providing the #1 job posting site that connects top employers with qualified jobseekers. To learn more about how AIM Careerlink can help you find that perfect Veteran for your next opening, subscribe to our Careerlink newsletter, search for more tips at aimforbrilliance.org, or attend one of our upcoming Careerlink
Job Fairs in 2014. Hire a Veteran in 2014!