We Have a Career for You!
WoodmenLife is a different kind of life insurance company: we're not-for-profit, and we exist to benefit our members through every stage of life. We are committed to family, community, and country, and our associates can participate in a variety of fun, social, and volunteer activities. WoodmenLife offers insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and 529 College Savings Plans.
WoodmenLife embraces diversity and works hard to provide a quality, team-oriented work environment. Dedicated to excellence, we offer a variety of opportunities for personal and professional growth, in an effort to realize the full creative potential of all associates.
Explore all that WoodmenLife has to offer at thisiswoodmenlife.com.
Great Culture, Great People, Great Company
If you’re looking for a company that’s big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet small enough to make a personal impact – WoodmenLife may be the place for you.
We’ve been a fixture in downtown Omaha over 125 years, and we promote a family-first environment with flexible work schedules, a team-oriented atmosphere, and a culture that encourages personal and professional growth, knowledge and community involvement.
As a not-for-profit, WoodmenLife is a different kind of insurance company. We give back revenues to our members, not investors. We’ve been around for more than a century because we’ve always kept our promises. Through recessions and wars, we’ve remained stable and reliable.
If you want to be part of an organization where you’re not just an employee – you’re a valued member of the family – WoodmenLife is the place for you!
Evaluate applications for life insurance to determine insurability by investigating the applicant’s financial, medical and non-medical background. Responsible for the final action of acceptance, modification or declination due to risk within assigned approval limits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the accurate evaluation and processing of life insurance applications up to $5,000,000 from preliminary review to final risk assessment, balancing all decisions based on the risk/expense to WoodmenLife and the desire to issue business
- Underwrite new and inforce individual life insurance applications, simplified and Family Term life applications, within guidelines set for the issuance of policies as assigned; determining whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk within assigned approval limits. This is done through the evaluation of an individual’s medical history or physical condition, occupational/aviation/avocation hazards, financial background, insurable interest, insurance currently in force, and other information pertinent to the decision. Has authority to use individual discretion in decision making within our retention limits that may or may not fully adhere to guidelines set, using personal knowledge and advanced risk assessment techniques. Analyze the impact of decisions on inforce certificates, and take appropriate action, making any changes to existing business as required. Ensure that all work is completed within the department’s time service standards.
- Communicate with the Sales Force, Medical Facilities, Vendors, Insurance Companies, Reinsurers, Applicants/Members, Underwriting Management, or Medical Director to gather information on which to base decisions, and to discuss underwriting actions
- Review contestable claims and live rescissions as assigned. Provide claims examiner or underwriting management with the underwriting perspective. Identify potential fraud/misrepresentations. Advise appropriate individual/areas on these cases for further action.
- Research complaints related to underwriting decisions and develop verbal and written responses. Handle underwriting related complaints as assigned, by researching the complaint, identifying solutions and communicating with the complainant and management as appropriate.
- Processes second stamp review of assigned cases within approval limits. Recognize training needs, assisting in the development and delivery of training to the underwriting team and new underwriters as needed. Assist team supervisor in evaluating lower level underwriters based on observations of cases reviewed, questions asked, and the underwriter’s general abilities.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert for the department on projects or when process or product changes have an impact to how we do business. Responsible for ensuring that the underwriting perspective is understood and make decisions on behalf of the department. Ensure that changes to our process are clearly communicated and training is developed and conducted when necessary regarding those changes. Continually review and analyze the workflow to provide efficient service and to meet service level goals. Make recommendations for changes that enhance the process and improve customer service.
- Adhere to Core Operations behavior stands which include: focusing on solutions, being open to feedback and dialogue, taking initiative, and be involved and accountable.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality in accordance with the expectations established by your supervisor and WoodmenLife policy.
- Performs other duties and serves on senior underwriting task force / project groups / committees as assigned; assisting underwriting management in developing best practices and underwriting philosophy. Develop and delivery presentations on pertinent topics as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent education/experience. College degree in a related field preferred.
- Six to eight plus years previous experience working as an underwriter in the life insurance industry.
- Completion of ALU Certificate (LOMA 280, 290, 311; ALU 101) and EKG course required. AALU or FALU designations preferred.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using medical terminology, medical disorders, and their significance to life insurance is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated through critical thinking, conflict resolution, ability to problem solve and make sound decisions.
- Ability to be self-motivated, work with high level or concentration, display a high attention to detail and reading comprehension.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in order to effectively meet deadlines in a high stress environment.
- Ability to work across multiple operation systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to explain reasoning effectively.
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills desired.
- Ability to maintain confidentially, sensitivity and professionalism in difficult situations.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and be seen by others as a leader. Must possess the ability to provide co-workers with effective and constructive performance feedback.
- The ability to provide seamless, trustworthy, attentive and resourceful (S.T.A.R.) customer service.
- Engages well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- Knowledge of WoodmenLife products and processes. In-depth knowledge of policies and procedures that impact the area preferred.
WoodmenLife offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits package. As part of WoodmenLife’s employment process, candidates will be required to complete a criminal background check, credit check (where required for position), Fingerprint check (where required for position), drug screen and reference checks. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successfully passing the above.
WoodmenLife is committed to excellence in diversity by creating an inclusive work environment that values and respects all individuals. We welcome and embrace associates, regardless of background and beliefs. WoodmenLife respects every associate’s unique perspective and contribution. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment that values differences, and creates opportunities for growth, leadership and service. This commitment includes providing equal opportunity in recruitment, employment and promotion, training and community outreach. WoodmenLife is also dedicated to strengthening the communities in which its employees live.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES SHOULD ADVISE THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IF SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS ARE NEEDED.
Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society (WoodmenLife) is an equal opportunity employer.
What's in Your Future
WoodmenLife is big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet you'll never be just another face in the crowd. Find out for yourself at thisiswoodmenlife.com.