We Have a Career for You!
WoodmenLife is a different kind of life insurance company: we're not-for-profit, and we exist to benefit our members through every stage of life. We are committed to family, community, and country, and our associates can participate in a variety of fun, social, and volunteer activities. WoodmenLife offers insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and 529 College Savings Plans.
WoodmenLife embraces diversity and works hard to provide a quality, team-oriented work environment. Dedicated to excellence, we offer a variety of opportunities for personal and professional growth, in an effort to realize the full creative potential of all associates.
Explore all that WoodmenLife has to offer at woodmen.org/careers.
Great Culture, Great People, Great Company
If you’re looking for a company that’s big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet small enough to make a personal impact – WoodmenLife may be the place for you.
We’ve been a fixture in downtown Omaha over 125 years, and we promote a family-first environment with flexible work schedules, a team-oriented atmosphere, and a culture that encourages personal and professional growth, knowledge and community involvement.
As a not-for-profit, WoodmenLife is a different kind of insurance company. We give back revenues to our members, not investors. We’ve been around for more than a century because we’ve always kept our promises. Through recessions and wars, we’ve remained stable and reliable.
If you want to be part of an organization where you’re not just an employee – you’re a valued member of the family – WoodmenLife is the place for you!
The purpose of the position is to assist in-house counsel in conducting legal research, audits, case investigations, litigation/arbitration case management, legal document preparation/review, complaint resolutions, regulatory compliance and other matters as needed within designated timeframes. The Legal Analyst will also assist home office and Sales associates with general legal questions, review basic legal documents and act as a liaison between employees, Sales associates, customers and in-house counsel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in the administration of independent legal projects including WoodmenLife’s compliance, privacy/HIPAA and 38a-1 programs, fraud and elder abuse initiatives, etc.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, assist in the management of litigation/arbitration/regulatory and general matters, including draft pleadings, affidavits and settlement/indemnity agreements, prepare exhibits and responses, legal research, research/investigate corporate and other records, gather and organize of documents, and calendar/docket management.
- Perform legal research and provide analysis of issues involving state and/or federal laws, regulations and case law.
- Review routine legal documents including powers of attorney, guardianship, estate, and divorce documentation.
- Respond to general inquiries to the Legal Department from home office and sales associates, customers and attorneys.
- Conduct, prepare and maintain 50 state surveys on various industry topics such as revocation of former spouse as beneficiary, authority of attorney-in-fact to change beneficiary, interest payable on death claims, lapse notifications, etc.
- Respond to subpoenas and third party requests for documents.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Undergraduate degree, Bachelors/Associates Degree in paralegal studies program from an accredited paralegal training program or comparable experience required.
- Knowledge of insurance principles and terminology, insurance contracts, insurance law, statutory and common law related to insurance coverages.
- Knowledge of computerized legal research software (LexisNexis and/or Westlaw); effective in using the Internet as a powerful resource; ability to effectively use Microsoft Office and Windows; and ability to develop report formats and extract pertinent information appropriately using Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience using electronic matter management system.
- Strong research, analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend legislative and regulatory laws and apply them in practical situations.
- Professional and effective human relations with ability to build relationships with internal and/or external customers to ensure expectations are met or exceeded.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal and reasoning skills that include problem solving and conflict resolution. Ability to weigh different courses of action and recommend solutions that contribute to WoodmenLife’s overall customer service and corporate goals.
- Time management planning and organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple project assignments, work under pressure and meet established deadlines and in an environment with changing priorities.
- Engages well with others and is passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- If no prior insurance experience, willingness to take LOMA 280/281, 290/291 and 311 courses.
- Knowledge of WoodmenLife’s processes/products as well as general policies and practices is preferred.
WoodmenLife offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits package. As part of WoodmenLife’s employment process, candidates will be required to complete a criminal background check, credit check (where required for position), Fingerprint check (where required for position), drug screen and reference checks. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successfully passing the above.
WoodmenLife is committed to excellence in diversity by creating an inclusive work environment that values and respects all individuals. We welcome and embrace associates, regardless of background and beliefs. WoodmenLife respects every associate’s unique perspective and contribution. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment that values differences, and creates opportunities for growth, leadership and service. This commitment includes providing equal opportunity in recruitment, employment and promotion, training and community outreach. WoodmenLife is also dedicated to strengthening the communities in which its employees live.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES SHOULD ADVISE THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IF SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS ARE NEEDED.
Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society (WoodmenLife) is an equal opportunity employer.
What's in Your Future
WoodmenLife is big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet you'll never be just another face in the crowd. Find out for yourself at woodmen.org/careers.
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Achievement Awards
- Adoption Assistance
- Bonus Plan
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Cafeteria / Food
- Continuing Education Program
- Credit Union
- Dependent-Care Spending Accounts
- Discounts on Employer Merchandise & Services
- Donation Matching Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Referral Program
- Financial Planning
- Fitness Classes
- Flexible Hours
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Group Legal
- Hair Stylist
- Health Fair
- Health-Care Spending Accounts
- Holiday Party
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Maternity / Paternity / Family Leave
- Merit Increases
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Remote Access
- Short-Term Disability
- Sick Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Workout Facilities