We Have a Career for You!
WoodmenLife is a different kind of life insurance company: we're not-for-profit, and we exist to benefit our members through every stage of life. We are committed to family, community, and country, and our associates can participate in a variety of fun, social, and volunteer activities. WoodmenLife offers insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and 529 College Savings Plans.
WoodmenLife embraces diversity and works hard to provide a quality, team-oriented work environment. Dedicated to excellence, we offer a variety of opportunities for personal and professional growth, in an effort to realize the full creative potential of all associates.
Explore all that WoodmenLife has to offer at woodmen.org/careers.
Securities Portfolio Manager
Great Culture, Great People, Great Company
If you’re looking for a company that’s big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet small enough to make a personal impact – WoodmenLife may be the place for you.
We’ve been a fixture in downtown Omaha for 125 years, and we promote a family-first environment with flexible work schedules, a team-oriented atmosphere, and a culture that encourages personal and professional growth, knowledge and community involvement.
As a not-for-profit, WoodmenLife is a different kind of insurance company. We give back revenues to our members, not investors. We’ve been around for more than a century because we’ve always kept our promises. Through recessions and wars, we’ve remained stable and reliable.
If you want to be part of an organization where you’re not just an employee – you’re a valued member of the family – WoodmenLife is the place for you!
The Portfolio Manager position is responsible for the daily selection, monitor and management of assets within individual portfolios. Analyzes credit and structure effects with rationale regarding how an asset enhances the portfolio if included. This position will act as a mentor to lower level investment associates to increase their knowledge and skills in relation to credit selection and portfolio management. This role is responsible for providing accurate financial statement reporting; ensuring accurate compliance reporting and analysis; completing audit requests and A.M. Best reporting; and supporting Investment Accounting reporting and/or supporting the preparation of asset and economic data in cash flow forecasting.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reviews and analyzes daily markets to recommend acquisitions/dispositions to effectively manage publicly-traded and privately held investments
- Evaluates portfolio holdings for regulatory and statutory compliance
- Acquires investments while thoroughly maintaining broker network; actively seeks information available to qualified institutional buyers
- Maintains and utilizes Investment Accounting records to effect accurate accounting processes and ensure accurate reporting
- Works with Investment Division personnel to ensure compliance and provide accurate reporting to internal and external customers through the use of a variety of software packages, including PAM for Investments, BondEdge, and Bloomberg
- Provides reports for audits; investigates discrepancies between accounting and report records and cash balances in support of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statement preparation
- Reconciles reporting system data to financial statement balances in support of internal cash flow forecasts
- Prepares Credit Team members with responses for internal and external customers; represents portfolio holdings appropriately
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality in accordance with the expectations established by your supervisor and WoodmenLife policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- BA/BS degree in business or finance and experience with statutory financial statements
- Chartered Financial Analyst designation preferred
- Understanding of selecting assets to match liabilities, versus selecting assets to back surplus
- Proficient use of MS Office (Excel, Word, Access)
- Computer system savvy: use of PAM for Investments system is required
- Knowledgeable about software systems such as BondEdge, Bloomberg and various online VPNs
- Commitment to life-long learning with commitment to continued formal education
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment where priorities can change frequently and deadlines are often under significant time pressure, while maintaining an effective approach
- Willingness to continually seek process improvements
- Ability to work hours needed to achieve business results. This includes but is not limited to working early mornings to ensure trades are completed timely, being available to perform business resumption tests and working days in which the market is open and WoodmenLife is closed.
- MBA or Master's in Finance, Economics or Accounting
Up to 15% travel.
WoodmenLife offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits package. As part of WoodmenLife’s employment process, candidates will be required to complete a criminal background check, credit check (where required for position), drug screen and reference checks. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successfully passing the above.
WoodmenLife is committed to excellence in diversity by creating an inclusive work environment that values and respects all individuals. This commitment includes providing equal opportunity in recruitment, employment and promotion, training and community outreach. WoodmenLife is also dedicated to strengthening the communities in which its employees live.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES SHOULD ADVISE THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IF SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS ARE NEEDED.
Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society (WoodmenLife) is an equal opportunity employer.
What's in Your Future
WoodmenLife is big enough to have exciting and challenging business opportunities, yet you'll never be just another face in the crowd. Find out for yourself at woodmen.org/careers.
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Achievement Awards
- Adoption Assistance
- Bonus Plan
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Cafeteria / Food
- Continuing Education Program
- Credit Union
- Dependent-Care Spending Accounts
- Discounts on Employer Merchandise & Services
- Donation Matching Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Referral Program
- Financial Planning
- Fitness Classes
- Flexible Hours
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Group Legal
- Hair Stylist
- Health Fair
- Health-Care Spending Accounts
- Holiday Party
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Maternity / Paternity / Family Leave
- Merit Increases
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Remote Access
- Short-Term Disability
- Sick Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Workout Facilities