Position Available for 2018-2019 School Year
Elementary Vocal Music Teacher
Westside Community Schools
Reports to: Building Principal
Locations: Rockbrook & Prairie Lane Elementaries
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Building Principal, the Vocal Music Teacher is responsible for developing in each pupil an appreciation of music as an art as part of our general culture. This will be accomplished by teaching techniques of vocal music expression, discovering and developing talents of pupils in the field of music and developing knowledge and skills in listening.
- Teaches skills in music understanding/appreciation, harmony, explorations in music and choral music to elementary pupils.
- Plans/executes a balanced music program and organizes class time foe that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the music curriculum to the needs of each pupil. Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible.
- Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of the pupils.
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments and equipment to prevent loos or abuse. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
- Evaluates each pupil’s musical growth, performance and musical understanding. Assesses each individual’s contribution to the performance of the group.
- Selects appropriate music, books and instructional aids to enhance learning and requisitions musical instruments and instructional supplies as necessary.
- Cooperation with Building Principal and staff in providing musical programs for school assemblies, open house, parent meetings and seasonal programs.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program. Interacts with pupils staff and parents in a positive and professional manner.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Utilizes grading patters that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
- Establish rapport with pupils and provides a pleasant, safe and orderly climate conducive to learning.
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the District and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Ability to work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations.
- Ability to stand and circulate for extended periods of time.
- Ability to see for purposes of reading music, correspondence, documents and printed matter and observing students.
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation.
- Ability to bend, crouch, kneel to assist students pushing/pulling and lifting of musical equipment and supplies, sitting in chairs and/or floor and reaching in all directions.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to carry up to 25 pounds.
- Moderate to high stress level.
- Work is predominately in a multi-purpose room/classroom, school environment
- Temperature – normal climate
- Work is primary indoors
Bachelors degree required. Must possess at all times during employment a valid Nebraska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsements as required by NDE Rule 10.
Westside Community Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer