1100 North Ohio St Salina Kansas 67401-2403
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
This is an individual contributor position responsible for assisting with all functions of the preventive and repair maintenance, electrical, electronic and mechanical work for the Coatings Division to achieve personal and professional growth. The Maintenance Technician is also responsible for learning basic metal fabrication using welding, cutting and brazing. Incumbent must work safely with the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which includes the ability to complete a respirator fit test per OSHA standards which requires candidate/incumbent to trim or remove facial hair that interferes with the seal of the respirator and adhere to Valmont safety training policies. The Maintenance Technician assists with preventive maintenance and repairs on all plant equipment and facilities with a learned level of proficiency. Responsible for learning plant equipment, including pneumatic and mechanical systems, clutches, brakes, power transmission components, combustion engines, and electrical and hydraulic systems. Assist with basic electrical work and fabrication under supervision of an experienced technician. Records labor and materials used on each repair.
- Assist with testing, inspecting, repairing and re-assembling basic plant equipment, components, and systems including but not limited to overhead bridge cranes, hoists, gear boxes, forklifts, straddle trucks, shag trucks, company vehicles, pneumatic and mechanical systems, power transmission components, combustion engines, boiler systems, and electrical and hydraulic systems
- Assist with electrical work
- Learn basic metal fabrication
- Communicate with other maintenance and production team members via e-mail, phone, and face-to-face
- Operate gauging equipment including tape measures, micrometers, and dial calipers
- Responsible for maintaining tools and equipment
- Must be company trained and authorized to operate powered industrial trucks, aerial platforms and bridge cranes
- Must be company trained and authorized in arc flash safety, confined space entry, hazardous energy control and fall protection
- Complete Lock-Out/Tag-Out training
- Climb and work from ladders, aerial platforms , bridge cranes, and roofs in excess of 80 feet
- Must be able to distinguish colors
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and work in a non-temperature controlled environment, as well as with exposure to outdoors
Important Details about the Role
- This position reports to the Maintenance Manager
- Domestic travel overnight up to 2% annually to assist with maintenance at other plant locations
- Become knowledgeable with plant equipment
- Learn basic blueprint reading
- Learn basic testing and troubleshooting skills
- Identify and report equipment abnormalities and safety hazards
- Complete record logs including labor, repairs made, equipment, and use of materials on the computer
- Responsible for working with small hand tools including tape measures, micrometers, saws, drills, riveters, and nail guns
- Assist in general plant clean up and housekeeping
- Participates in Safety and LEAN initiatives
- Communicates problems or needs to departmental supervision
- Communicates and interact with coworkers in a professional manner
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- 0-1 year of relevant experience
- Mechanical aptitude and desire to learn
- The ability to read and follow written and verbal instructions in English
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Communicate problems or needs to departmental supervision
- Communicate and interact with coworkers in a professional manner
- Ability to be company trained and authorized to operate powered industrial trucks, aerial platforms and bridge cranes
- Ability to be company trained and authorized in arc flash safety, confined space entry, hazardous energy control and fall protection
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds , although most frequent lift is up to 30 pounds
- Ability to spend 75% of workday standing or walking, 10% bending or kneeling, 10% stooping, and 5% climbing
- Must be able to distinguish colors
- Climb and work from ladders, aerial platforms, bridge cranes, and roofs in excess of 80 feet
- Ability to wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and work in a non-temperature controlled environment, as well as with exposure to outdoors
- Pay attention to detail and follow work instructions
- High awareness for safety
- Work one (1) to two (2) shifts of overtime per week, as needed
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- Actively pursuing an Associate's or Technical degree in Industrial Maintenance or related field
- Work in adverse conditions: wet, hot, dusty, dirty or cold
- Six (6) months of industrial maintenance experience
- Six (6) months of experience basic welding/fabricating metal structures/components
- Six (6) of experience with basic troubleshooting skills
Requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing of whole numbers and fractions to perform calculations and conversions to and from metric and standard measurements. Must possess adequate communication and interpersonal skills to successfully interact with other employees. Must display an aptitude for problem solving and the ability to plan for potential problems or needs.
Job Training Skill Development
Maintenance Technician must demonstrate a minimum acceptable level of equipment specific knowledge within 12 months of on the job experience.
The Maintenance Technician assists with troubleshooting plant equipment and facilities that require considerable independent judgment. Service manuals establish standard procedures for some decision making. Independent judgment is required when the task at hand becomes too involved. Seeks direction from more qualified technician or Supervisor.
The Maintenance Technician spends time climbing, lifting, bending, kneeling, crawling, pulling, stretching, and working in confined spaces and awkward positions, as well as working at heights. Incumbent handles gearboxes on top of machines, changing brakes, motors on cranes, etc. The average weight of objects is 30 pounds. Incumbent spends 75% of his / her workday standing or walking, 10% bending or kneeling, 10% stooping, and 5% climbing.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.