One Valmont Plaza Omaha Nebraska 68154-5215
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
The primary functions of this position are to ensure compliance with sales/use tax statutes and regulations for all states and local jurisdictions where Valmont Industries and subsidiaries engage in business activities including assisting on sales and use tax audits and filing annual reports. The incumbent must gather, analyze, and evaluate data from various business units monthly. Because this position requires knowledge of current tax laws and a willingness to expand that knowledge base, attending tax seminars or visiting locations may be necessary on occasion.
- This position reports to the Sales Tax Manager and has no direct or indirect reports
- Estimated travel may be a total of 5-10 days per year to domestic sites with overnight stays
- Collect, analyze, and evaluate data to ensure accurate calculations of sales and use tax liabilities. Ensure all filing dates are met to effect tax compliance
- Investigate and monitor information that may provide evidence of possible sales or use tax overpayment and refund opportunities
- Analyze and evaluate tax literature for changes or developments that may influence business decisions or processes. Monitor and report on major law changes in multiple jurisdictions
- Provide guidance to divisional personnel with effective and efficient tax reporting
- Provide guidance and resources to divisional personnel on sales and use tax laws and regulations to ensure efficient processing that complies with the rules
- Maintain good relationships with customers, vendors, and governmental auditors in order to facilitate the best possible negotiations through audit process and assure the most favorable outcome
- Research transactions of an unusual nature as they arise
- Continually maintain and improve our processes for Sarbanes Oxley compliance efforts
- Research and explore new sales and use tax credits
- Assist Sales Tax Manager on sales tax audits
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Reading, understanding, and applying the standards of the Code of Business Conduct
- Supporting efforts to identify and communicate to management non-compliance with the Code of Business Conduct or other violations of policy or illegal actions
- Execution of control activities in areas of responsibility
- Maintaining the appropriate professional competencies
- Accountable to supervisor for responsibilities in internal control
- Prepares, files, and pays approximately 100 sales and use tax returns for various subsidiaries of Valmont Industries, Inc.
- Reconciles the tax accounts for PiRod, Microflect, SitePro, and Composite Structures
- Sales and use tax research
- Enters and maintains exemption certificates into Vertex for IFS customers.
- Scans and commits sales tax returns and exemption certificates into Laser fiche
- Prepares, files, and pays approximately 150 Annual Reports for the Secretary of State yearly
- Prepares, files, and pays any sales tax and business license renewals
- Prepares, files, and pays any reports when registering a company to do business in a new state
- Requests business authorization documents, as needed, from the Secretary of State
- Assists with state sales and use tax audits
- Attends required tax training
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelors with 3+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 5+ years relevant experience or 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with sales and use tax preparation, compliance and audits for multiple state and local jurisdictions
- Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Excel
- Proven ability and experience to meet tight deadlines
- Three years of office environment experience
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Degree in accounting, business or related field
- Experience with Excel
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral
- Energetic and self-motivated team player with ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other division and legal entities
- Experience in working with taxing authorities
- Five years of experience with sales and use tax preparation, compliance and audits for multiple state and local jurisdictions
- Five years of experience working with government tax agencies
- Five years of experience in sales and local tax laws
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Travel 5-10 days requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.