475 Dietrich Road Steele Alabama 35987-2613
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Operations Manager is a Manager level role within Valmont' Coatings Division. This position is accountable for overseeing the day to day management of the galvanizing facility's physical and human resources including line and staff functions to meet or exceed customer expectations in terms of quality and on-time delivery objectives. This position is also responsible for ensuring productivity metrics are achieved and that the principles of Lean manufacturing are utilized consistently including standard work requirements, countermeasures and visual aids management. The incumbent is actively involved in staffing and performance management decisions.
- Manage the use of plant resources to ensure that all plant operations are meeting or exceeding, safety, quality, and production goals as set by the General Manager
- Oversee the production operations of a galvanizing facility
- Assist in identifying operations' best practices, performing lean audits and kaizen events, and travel occasionally to assist/learn from high level project management experiences
- Facilitate positive customer relations through the services of quality coated product and on-time delivery
- Review and control operation expenses for raw materials, operating supplies, and equipment
- Ensure compliance with environmental and safety requirements as specified by corporate policy and government regulation
- Utilize production and other analytical reports to better gauge plant performance and to make better decisions
- Maintain manpower requirements through proper staffing, training, and development of production employees, supervisors, and other technical personnel
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Plan and develop plant personnel to produce maximum efficiency and utilization of available resources
- Travel to other Coatings sites and assist in identifying operations' best practices, perform lean audits, and assist with the setup and operation of Greenfield or satellite operations
- Select, train, develop and motivate an effective staff to assure the profitable attainment of present and future safety, production, quality and service objectives
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor's degree with 6+ years of relevant experience, Associates degree with 8+ years of relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience
- The ability to recognize and solve practical problems or issues
- Prior supervisory experience
- Proven track record in lean manufacturing principles including standard work, continuous improvement, problem resolution and delivery of results positively affecting the bottom line of the organization
- Ability to travel approximately 10-15%
- Ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a professional manner
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to support divisional business objectives
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 15 pounds, although most frequent lift is up to 10 pounds
- Ability to wear all required PPE for the production facility, as well as be exposed to outdoor weather and indoor facility conditions including cold, heat, dirt, noise and fumes
- The ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Master's in Business Administration Industrial Management, Manufacturing, Operations, Engineering or Chemistry
- Minimum 5-7 years of supervisory or management experience overseeing employees in a number of functional areas in an industrial environment
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certification
- Working knowledge of OSHA and environmental regulations as well as state and federal labor standards
- Previous experience in galvanizing or a coatings company would be ideal, but is not necessary
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
The primary working conditions for this position is a manufacturing shop environment with exposure to dirt, grease, fumes, cold, heat, noise, dust. There will also be times when the Operations Manager works in an office environment. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses and hard hats may be required in most manufacturing areas and it is the Operations Manager's responsibility to ensure that all people (employees, vendors, customers, visitors) are in conformance with all safety requirements and that all employees are enforcing the safety requirements consistently and without exception. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Travel requirements for this position are approximately 10-15%. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.