One Valmont Plaza Omaha Nebraska 68154-5215
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This position serves as one of Valmont's principal Health and Safety professionals enabling overall company strategy success in driving continuous improvement of safety practices across the assigned Division. This role has dual reporting with direct report to the Corporate Director Health & Safety and matrix reporting to the Vice President and General Manager North America Galvanizing. This position will be a resource for all assigned locations & partners within the operation to ensure that general safety policies and procedures are followed in compliance with the corporate health & safety playbook, local, state, and national regulations as applicable. This position directs the implementation and maintenance of standardized processes and tools that support Valmont's Health and Safety Management Systems ensuring alignment with overall business strategy (e.g., Health and Safety Playbook, Global Health & Safety Standards, safety information management system, and other business level EHS support systems and initiatives). The Regional Safety Manager works with site and Division leadership to analyze, design, improve and maintain Valmont's EHS systems to support the timely, efficient, and accurate delivery of services and information to key stakeholders. The incumbent collaborates with business unit and EHS leaders to integrate systematic EHS practices into daily operations at all levels of the organization. Additionally, this position will assist in the resolution of OSHA regulatory matters, workers' compensation claims, and the remediation of unsafe conditions.
- This position reports directly into Corporate Director Health & Safety with a matrix reporting to the VPGM North America Galvanizing
- This role requires up to 50% travel (domestically and internationally), including overnight stays
- Executes Division initiatives to improve health and safety
- Reports safety data as needed to the Division and participates in Division leadership review meetings
- Partners with site leaders to ensure consistent deployment of playbooks and standards within their respective areas of responsibility
- leads the Division post incident review, communication of incidents that result or have the potential to result in serious injury; Partners with operational and site safety managers to ensure that corrective and preventive actions that address the root causes are effectively deployed across the area of responsibility
- Coordinates and or conducts regular site audits, establishing corrective actions and following up as needed
- Lead the Division on Valmont Safety Index (VSI) deliverables and report on current state
- Enables site's to use company's safety and training systems, including development of dashboards and regular reporting
- Develops and maintains risk assessment tools designed to identify and prioritize exposure to safety hazards that can result in harm
- Effective oral and written communication skills to clearly and concisely present information to stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize a large number of projects and track projects through completion
- Ability to effectively interact with others, establishing open, candid and trusting relationships
- Recognize and be able to integrate principle Continuous Improvement (Lean/CI) concepts into EHS and vice-versa
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Valmont Core Values
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Participates and leads in the use and development of the safety program system (Intelex)
- Participates in the administration of workers compensation program (if applicable), including working with the claim handlers for the unit as needed
- Provides training and mentoring to site safety resources to strengthen health and safety competencies through the continuous improvement process
- Ensures that mandatory Corporate/Divisional best practices are shared & put into place for the assigned locations
- Stay current with legislated safety regulations. Conduct in-house audits and inspections of all assigned site as well as employee and management safety training
- Conducts random safety inspection audits of facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventive measures where indicated
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelors with 6+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 8+ years relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience
- Minimum of six years of progressively increasing health and safety responsibility with an emphasis on implementation and maintenance of health and safety programs, fire prevention, and risk management
- Make effective decisions, even when dealing with limited or ambiguous information
- Ability to lead and support business unit and site teams responsible for managing occupational safety risks
- Prior proven experience utilizing an enterprise-wide safety information system/database
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA/NIOSH/NFPA regulations, standards and practices
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Master's degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire Protection, Environmental Science, Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience with OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) or OHSAS 18001
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting with regular visits to manufacturing facilities and locations. While visiting the manufacturing areas of the plant, use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is required at all times. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Domestic and international travel represents up to 50% of the work schedule and includes transportation by vehicle and by air. This position requires movement around the office and manufacturing facilities as well as the ability to drive a vehicle to and from the various locations including the occasional transportation of other team members. This position may require lifting, carrying, bending, kneeling, pivoting, reaching, standing, climbing stairs, handling, gripping, grasping and visually inspecting equipment. Overall the physical effort level is considered light. Heavy equipment can be moved with a dolly or the aid of a hoist. Movement of heavy equipment is rare. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.