3535 Halifax Road Petersburg Virginia 23805-1113
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
Job Title: Process Tank Operator
A career with Valmont is a career with a future! Valmont is a global manufacturing company with employment opportunities around the world for qualified candidates. Wherever you live, whatever you do, chances are Valmont is part of your life: Lighting and traffic poles that guide your way; Utility poles that bring power to your home and business; Communication poles and towers that enable your wireless communications; Irrigation equipment that brings much-needed water to cropland while conserving fresh water resources; and, long-lasting finishes that improve products around the world every day. Valmont needs YOU to make it all possible!
How you will contribute
Valmont is currently seeking a highly motivated and talented individual for the Process Tank Operator position in the Petersburg, Virginia Coatings Division. We are looking for a highly driven individual that will operate ground-controlled traveling and overhead cranes to lift, move, and position heavy steel loads. Additionally, you will...
- Use hoisting attachments such as hooks, chains or bucket to load material
- Be responsible for the cleaning and non-complex maintenance of both the crane and hoisting mechanism including inspection of the crane, hooks and chains regularly to maintain a safe operation within the department
- Monitor all process tanks and zinc bath to maintain proper temperature and adhere to cycle times in order to achieve a quality galvanized product every time
- Coordinate the use of equipment, process tanks, material and personnel in order to gain maximum productivity and capacity from the galvanizing process tanks and zinc bath
- Guide the material handlers in proper paddling procedures to ensure safe galvanizing procedures are continually followed
- Execute the drossing process to remove any impurities from the zinc kettle
- Set kettle temperature and remove lost parts from process tanks and kettle
- Perform 5S and other housekeeping tasks within the assigned area
- Actively participate on both Lean and safety teams
- Wear required personal protective equipment and follow facility safety regulations
- Maintain a safe and productive working environment
What it takes
- The physical ability to hook and unhook loads of fabricated steel and place dunnage between material as necessary for staging
- The physical ability to stand and walk duration of shift
- The visual and mental capacity to determine if the load hook up is safe and if any of the parts by be defective and need attention
- The ability to manipulate and decompress crane controls such as pedals, levers and buttons to regulate the speed and direction of crane and hoist
- A working knowledge of using e-mail
- The ability to work over ten hours a week in overtime when required for business needs The ability to recognize and solve practical problems or issues
- The ability to recognize hazardous substances and to know basic employee responsibilities for chemical safety
- Skills necessary to be highly efficient in the safe operation of 15 ton over-head bridge cranes
- High attention to detail
- Must have a high awareness for safety at all times
- Excellent hand and eye coordination with 20/20 corrected vision
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly qualified candidates will also possess:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- One year of previous experience with overhead crane operations
- One year of previous experience in a manufacturing or galvanizing environment
- Thorough understanding of the galvanizing process and of a material handler's job duties as related to black goods staging procedures, raw material conditions, product venting, fixture safety, the padding function, product quality, and shop safety rules
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.2021-12-09-08:00