One Valmont Plaza Omaha Nebraska 68154-5215
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
Valmont is seeking a talented individual to join our growing data science team within our shared services division. This position will write code, collect data, and generate predictions for various business units at Valmont Industries. Other tasks include cleaning large datasets, creating machine-learning models, and automating various processes. While in this role, you will learn to work with data pipelines from data collection to implementation of a model that will have real benefits for our users. This position will also be tasked with thinking outside the box with innovative solutions to traditional problems.
Valmont's internship program mission is to provide a hands-on learning experience through project work, leadership development, job shadowing and interaction with senior leadership.
- Use code to solve problems with guidance from business leaders
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and data engineers to develop new data products
- Collect third party and experimental data via APIs, web scraping, etc.
- Take on ad hoc projects and cultivate your own ideas
- Help optimize and assist development of current projects
- Build dynamic dashboards and visualizations for users
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Working towards degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Finance, or any quantitative discipline
- Working knowledge of python or R; SQL a plus
- Understanding of data warehouses and relational databases
- Experience with regression, classification, and applied statistics/probability
- Familiar with machine learning concepts and algorithms
- Ability to communicate complex insights to a general audience
- Enthusiasm to learn and apply data science concepts
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- Interest in financial or time series data in particular
- Great opportunity to gain career related course work experience from an industry leader
- Paid Internship - Valmont values you
- Potential development into a regular full-time position
- Flexible full-time day shift hours during the summer
- A thriving culture in a growing business
- Interactive group activities with intern peers
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. No travel requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries, Inc.