28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This Individual Contributor position is accountable for providing the drafting department support in the improvements, maintenance and development of the business process and documentation to support the daily business workflow requirements. This includes (1) the business subject matter expert for system improvements and the maintenance and replacement of current systems for the drafting department to support IT in testing and feedback; (2) providing drafting team support, such as training and on-boarding of new hires, trouble-shooting and identifying gaps from products/projects and processes; (3) identification of drafting manual and standards improvement opportunities in order to increase productivity, quality output, reduce redundant processes or improve error-proofing.
This role will be responsible to understand and translate both internal and external customer and user needs into requirements for our partners to evaluate and recommend solutions. This role will also be instrumental and a key participant in the development and implementation of new transformational systems and processes. This role will be focused on both North American and offshore teams. The ideal candidate will understand infrastructure related products and projects from the specification to design detailing and have the ability to translate and understand potential solutions. Although not directly managing resources it will be important that this candidate be a strong leader that can take ambiguous direction to fruition.
* This position reports to the Director of Engineering
* This role has no direct reports but will be asked to lead functional groups
* Possibly requires up to 15% travel (internationally/domestically), including overnight stays
* Apply technology to daily drafting processes
* Analyze and translate user requirements into functional design and development projects
* Interviews, gathers, records and analyzes specific data and system needs from multiple sources
* Assembles and leads work teams as required to fully develop functional specifications for the Drafting Department
* Perform project management including task identification, effort and duration estimates, task dependencies and sequencing, resource assignment and evaluation, conflict and problem resolution
* Translates information into requirements for partners
* Perform testing of applications to ensure conformance to specifications
* Development, creation and presentation of user training sessions related to the department's business processes
* As a business subject matter expert, provide ongoing support for users and programmers
* Responsibility in supporting and maintaining manuals pertaining to drafting functions
* Builds relationships with key stakeholders
* Promotes and maintains a productive working relationship within the department and with all other departments
* Maintains a neat, business-like environment within the work area including minimizing distractions from radio noise, conversations, etc.
* Executes on deliverables
* Utilize Lean tools, practices and methodologies to achieve streamlined processes
Other Important Details about the Role:
The incumbent interfaces with many departments for the purpose of developing and implementing new processes and enhancement requests to existing tools. Requests directed to this position will be maintained on a log and prioritization of the request will be done with the assistance of the Director. Requests of this position can come from a variety of sources. The incumbent must be able to interpret the information received and determine if it is clear, complete and correct. He/she must be able to determine if the information is not sufficient and explain to the requester what is needed or suggest alternatives in a way that is easily understood. The incumbent must have the ability to organize multiple tasks efficiently.
The incumbent must have the ability to prioritize tasks in order of importance and impact to the business. He/she must also determine the sequence of work within a task to maximize efficiency. He/she will make decisions on where to obtain necessary assistance during different phases of a project, determine the time required to complete a task and select the best option to allow timely completion. The incumbent must possess a high level of technical competence in drafting practices and a good understanding of the end use of the product. He/she must also have knowledge of fabrication and welding procedures, and the manufacturing processes used in the product as well as quality assurance requirements and methods.
This individual must have the skill necessary to lead technical peers and motivate them in order to affect a high degree of productivity. The activities of this position are intertwined with the functions of many different people of diverse backgrounds. The incumbent must possess strong communication skills to illustrate ideas to individuals from non-technical disciplines in layman's terms as well as technical people in precise terms. All decisions and actions of this position must increase the capacity of or reduce errors in the drafting group by augmenting the performance of every member in the department. The supervision and guidance received by the incumbent relates largely to overall objectives, critical issues and new concepts. This person consults with the Director concerning unusual problems and developments.
This employee must be capable of clear, professional and courteous verbal and written communication. Communication in person, telephone, Zoom and email is required daily and is expected to be tailored to the intended audience. End-user communication must be presented so a non-technical employee can follow instructions to facilitate rapid resolution. Rapport and teamwork must be maintained with all members of Valmont.
The ability to manage time and multiple tasks is critical to this position. The incumbent must be able to work independently with little or no direct supervision. The focus of this individual's decision processes should be resolving business situations and providing effective customer solutions and service to end users, as measured against fair and reasonable expectations set by the business and IT management.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
* Preferred Bachelor's with 5+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 7+ years relevant experience or 9+ years relevant experience
* Strong understanding of 3D CAD and model-based definition along with PLM
* Strong discovery skills; ability to gather, record and analyze specific data and system needs from multiple sources
* Must demonstrate strong project management skills
* Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and analytical ability
* Attention to detail
* Previous experience with Microsoft Office Products (Project / Word / Excel / Access)
* Demonstrate excellence with interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
* Strong initiative; a self-starter
* Demonstrated ability to effectively complete multiple and concurrent assignments independently or as part of a team
* Excellent time management skills and ability to meet aggressive project deadlines
* Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, servant leader, priority focused, dynamic environment
* Knowledge of Lean tools, practices and methods of applying lean techniques
* Ability to analyze business problems and develop solutions if required by the business
* Capable of sequencing complex tasks, orienting execution for efficiency, utilizing a project plan methodology
* Ability to apply both deductive and inductive reasoning appropriate to the situation
* Acceptable prior performance and attendance record
* Experience in manufacturing related drafting support
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
* Windchill knowledge
* Creo knowledge
* Valmont business systems and process knowledge
* Previous matrix leadership experience
* Previous project management experience
* Lean or Six Sigma certification, concentrating on business process mapping of systems and information
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Minimal travel requirements for this position (up to 15% domestic and international). The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries, Inc.