We recognize that our employees are the cornerstone of our accomplishments. We pride ourselves on being
people of passion and integrity
who excel and deliver results.
As a growing global manufacturing company, we offer employment opportunities for qualified candidates
in every area of every division around the world. Valmont may have a place for you in one of our manufacturing
plants or business marketing offices in North or South America, Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa.
We provide competitive compensation and benefits, a performance driven work environment and advancement
opportunities. We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all our employees,
wherever their career with Valmont may take them.
Valmont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and we recognize
that diversity brings benefits to the company – ways of thinking and
approaches to decision making that can make us more successful. We value the
differences among individuals and welcome diversity within our workplace. Each
Valmont manager ensures that all applicants and employees are afforded an equal
opportunity in employment. We support and obey laws that prohibit discrimination
everywhere we do business. Our policy prohibits discrimination on any basis
prohibited by law, including race, color, gender, age, religion, national
origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
other characteristics protected under law.
No matter where in the world you live, Valmont products are part of your life. They are making the world
a better place to live - exactly what Valmont has been doing for more than 60 years.
Passion, Integrity, Continuous Improvement and Delivering Results - that
is The Valmont Way
Assistant Inventory Manager
Located In:Birmingham, AL
4200 Jefferson Ave SW Birmingham Alabama 35221
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
Assistant Inventory Manager
A Brief Summary of This Position
Walpar (a Valmont Company) is currently seeking a highly motived and talented individual for the Assistant Inventory Manager position. Walpar is the leading design and fabrication firm for overhead sign structures primarily used in the transportation industry. Our quality is one of our key differentiators in the market and is highly regarded in the industry. We are looking for a highly driven individual that will implement and maintain a cycle-count inventory program and other inventory related tasks and procedures.
Essential Functions: You will...
* Implement and maintain a cycle counting program based on ABC categories of material
* Maintain receiving, warehousing, and material selecting operations by complying with and executing material movement activities
* Understand and comply with required and specified steel and aluminum shapes, grades, and sizes
* Maintain inventory by ability to measure, warehouse and record material dimensional lengths
* Safeguard warehouse operations and contents by establishing and monitoring security procedures and protocols
* Assists in control of inventory levels by conducting physical counts; reconciling with data storage system
* Maintain physical condition of storage yard; inspecting equipment; requesting repairs and replacement when needed
* Count quantities completely and accurately
* Move material utilizing overhead cranes and forklift
* Match incoming material to paper documents to verify heat, shape, grade, size, quantity, and inspect for damage
* Have opportunities to train for other positions as they become available
Other Important Details about the Role: You will...
* Work with the Inventory Manager to accomplish the goals for inventory including turns, accuracy and costing
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
* 2+ Year previous experience preferred in inventory control in a manufacturing or fabrication environment
o OR graduated from an acceptable Technical Training Program focused in inventory control
* The ability to read, write, add, subtract, multiply, divide and count accurately
* Ability to use common manufacturing math
* Repetitive lifting (up to 50 lbs. on occasion), climbing ladders, stooping, reaching, pulling, standing, pushing, and grasping are required
* The ability to stand 90% of a shift and work in noisy, non-climate controlled conditions
* The ability to work with small hand tools including tape measures and gauges
* Proficient at reading tags, bills of lading, and shipping and receiving papers
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
* High School Diploma or GED
* 3+ years of previous inventory control experience in an assembly environment
* 3+ years of previous inventory control experience in a manufacturing or fabrication environment
* 2+ years of previous experience operating hand and/or power tools
* The ability to accurately and honestly check one's own work for quality assurance
* The ability to communicate problems or needs to departmental supervision
* The ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
* The ability to pay attention to detail and follow work instructions completely and accurately
* High awareness for safety
* Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Previous work experience in inventory control or training at in acceptable Technical Training Program is desired
* Ability to use common manufacturing and fabrication math
* The ability to use a calculator and a tape measure
* The ability to read, write and follow non-complex instructions in english
* Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word, FabSuite, SBT or other ERP software is a plus
Work is performed in a noisy, non-climate controlled space. The workstation requires 75% standing or greater while performing counts and other inventory related tasks. There will be some desk and computer related tasks as well. Most material is moved utilizing overhead and jib cranes. Some lifting, pushing, pulling, etc may be required from time-to-time to position the material for crane movement or to adjust in position.
* Concentrated mental and visual attention involving planning and laying out of complex work
* Concentrated and exacting mental and visual attention involving planning and the setting up of complex work
Responsibility for Equipment and Process and Product
* You will be responsible for the care and use of overhead crane equipment provided for you
* You will be responsible for raw materials and value added product in your work area
* Damage is possible but exercise of ordinary care and attention will prevent loss
Responsibility for Safety of Others
As part of our safety program you will be expected to participate and adhere to any and all safety rules and practices. You will also be required to participate in safety training from time-to-time.
Responsibility for Work of Others
* Primarily responsible for own work
* Will have opportunities to work with a team
Supervisor: (Print name and sign)
Human Resources : (Print name and sign)
Employee: (Print name and sign)
HRIS Information Needed to Create Position and Requisition:
(Please keep on separate page - not to be shared as part of the job description)
Assistant Inventory Manager
Job Profile Title:
Associate, Inventory Control Specialist
Job Code Number:
Compensation Grade/Labor Grade:
Job Group Name: (AAP/EEO)
Job Group Number: (AAP/EEO)
Pay Type: FLSA
Reports to (Name):
Reports to (Title):
VP Operations and CFO
Reports to (Position Number):
JD Written By:
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Applications accepted through January 1, 2020
Valmont is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with
disabilities in the employment application process.
If you need an accommodation due to a disability to use our online system to
apply for a position at Valmont, call us at 402-963-1166 or send us an email at
PLEASE NOTE: This contact channel is reserved for use by individuals with
disabilities who require special accommodations in order to apply for a posted
position with Valmont. Information received via this contact channel will
be routed to resources that will provide appropriate assistance to these
individuals to ensure that their data is collected and entered into the system.
Making the World a Better Place to Live
Valmont is recognized throughout the world as an industry leader in engineered products and services
for infrastructure and water-conserving agricultural irrigation equipment. We design, manufacture and
sell irrigation equipment; lighting, utility and communications poles, towers and structures; and
fabricated industrial products. We also provide custom coatings services.
Coatings. Valmont is a leading provider of metal coating
services. Our finishes, which include galvanizing, painting and anodizing, protect metal products
around the world from corrosion.
Irrigation. As the pioneering leader and the world's largest
manufacturer of mechanized irrigation equipment, Valmont hopes to feed the world and conserve fresh
Structures. Valmont's quality engineered structures for lighting and traffic, wireless
communication, highway safety and access systems provide safety and order for customers around the
Tubing and Other Industrial Operations. Valmont specializes
in additional industrial operations that include: custom steel tubing for a variety of industries;
forged steel grinding media for the mining industry; electrolytic manganese dioxide for disposable
batteries; and the distribution of industrial fasteners.
Utility. Utility relies on Valmont's substation structures
and steel, spun concrete and hybrid transmission and distribution poles to bring power to customers
in North America and emerging global markets.