We recognize that our employees are the cornerstone of our accomplishments. We pride ourselves on being
people of passion and integrity
who excel and deliver results.
As a growing global manufacturing company, we offer employment opportunities for qualified candidates
in every area of every division around the world. Valmont may have a place for you in one of our manufacturing
plants or business marketing offices in North or South America, Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa.
We provide competitive compensation and benefits, a performance driven work environment and advancement
opportunities. We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all our employees,
wherever their career with Valmont may take them.
Valmont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and we recognize
that diversity brings benefits to the company – ways of thinking and
approaches to decision making that can make us more successful. We value the
differences among individuals and welcome diversity within our workplace. Each
Valmont manager ensures that all applicants and employees are afforded an equal
opportunity in employment. We support and obey laws that prohibit discrimination
everywhere we do business. Our policy prohibits discrimination on any basis
prohibited by law, including race, color, gender, age, religion, national
origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
other characteristics protected under law.
No matter where in the world you live, Valmont products are part of your life. They are making the world
a better place to live - exactly what Valmont has been doing for more than 60 years.
Passion, Integrity, Continuous Improvement and Delivering Results - that
is The Valmont Way
Design Engineer - Solar Support Structures
Located In:Valley, NE
600 W Reichmuth Rd Valley Nebraska 68064-0358
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This is an individual contributor position responsible for structural analysis and design of "standard" products to be quoted and fabricated by the Valmont Utility Division, Solar Group, primarily solar tracker support structures. Included in this is the full design responsibility for processing specific orders and general design engineering support for drafting and sales.
* Analyze and design products by Finite Element Method and other structural design software taking into consideration both public safety, manufacturability, and minimum cost balancing competitiveness and profitability
* Interpret customer specifications, customer needs, and market/sales needs
* Communicate engineering data to the customer and others. The latter includes itemizing cost-related requirements of a quotation, including weights, reviewing engineering drawings and evaluating as-built product.
* Direct efforts of the Drafting Group to assure that project requirements have been properly detailed and that order processing proceeds smoothly and rapidly
* Internal relationships and communications that promote a professional attitude towards the work and the office environment
* Recommend changes in design criteria, analysis methods, drafting procedures and developing new methods and procedures when appropriate
* Recommend tests to confirm theoretical designs when necessary and plan and coordinate the testing
* Communicate information about new ideas, product and system improvements, etc. to encourage increased morale and efficiency throughout the company and to enhance Valmont's image as the leader in our industry
* Improve work skills for advancement, specifically: knowledge of fabrication concepts; design requirements and advanced methods of analysis
Other Important Details about the Role:
The Design Engineer reports to the Director of Product Management - Solar, who reports to the Vice President and General Manager - North American Utility. At this continuing development level, the incumbent performs routine engineering work requiring application of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. General direction of a Senior Design, Design and/or Associate Drafter will normally be a part of this job. For training and developmental purposes, assignments may include work that may be otherwise typically of a higher level.
The products within the scope of this position are fabricated steel tracking support structures used for the support of solar PV panels for utility-scale solar farms. "Standard" structures include both support structures and drive equipment to enable tracking capability. Familiarity with the design requirements of other product lines is required.
The work primarily includes interpretation of customer specifications and design and analysis of structures to meet those specifications, in combination with applicable national, technical society, and Valmont codes and specifications. The incumbent provides continuity of this function during the quotation and order processing stages. This involves direction, and possibly supervision, of the design and drafting process, selective checking of drawings, and significant interrelationship with other departments at Valmont Utility.
The incumbent provides the technical support in customer contacts on quotations and orders. Routinely, effective customer contact by telephone, letter, and email is required. Occasional supervised customer contact is included.
Assignments are screened for problems unique to the department. Work may be assigned which requires the incumbent to determine solutions using available resources, including the experience of other engineers. The incumbent receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features and possible solutions. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems. Work is reviewed selectively during progress and upon completion.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
* Bachelor's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or related engineering field and 5+ years of relevant experience
* Successful completion of Engineer-in-Training Certificate
* One year of structural experience
* Sound technical competence in structural engineering
* A good understanding of the end use of the product and the nature of the design loads
* A good working knowledge of 3D CAD Simulation
* Excellent communication skills
* An understanding of standard fabrication and welding procedures and processes including quality assurance requirements and methods
* Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
* Travel outside of the US is required during initial training
* Candidate must have a valid U.S. passport for travel
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
* Direct Experience with Solar Trackers
* Master's degree
* 3D Computer Aided Design experience
* Finite Element Analysis experience
* Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
* Leadership characteristics
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting, however the incumbent will spend time training in Italy, and may be required to go into the production areas of the plant. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Applications accepted through March 6, 2019
Valmont is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with
disabilities in the employment application process.
If you need an accommodation due to a disability to use our online system to
apply for a position at Valmont, call us at 402-963-1166 or send us an email at
PLEASE NOTE: This contact channel is reserved for use by individuals with
disabilities who require special accommodations in order to apply for a posted
position with Valmont. Information received via this contact channel will
be routed to resources that will provide appropriate assistance to these
individuals to ensure that their data is collected and entered into the system.
Making the World a Better Place to Live
Valmont is recognized throughout the world as an industry leader in engineered products and services
for infrastructure and water-conserving agricultural irrigation equipment. We design, manufacture and
sell irrigation equipment; lighting, utility and communications poles, towers and structures; and
fabricated industrial products. We also provide custom coatings services.
Coatings. Valmont is a leading provider of metal coating
services. Our finishes, which include galvanizing, painting and anodizing, protect metal products
around the world from corrosion.
Irrigation. As the pioneering leader and the world's largest
manufacturer of mechanized irrigation equipment, Valmont hopes to feed the world and conserve fresh
Structures. Valmont's quality engineered structures for lighting and traffic, wireless
communication, highway safety and access systems provide safety and order for customers around the
Tubing and Other Industrial Operations. Valmont specializes
in additional industrial operations that include: custom steel tubing for a variety of industries;
forged steel grinding media for the mining industry; electrolytic manganese dioxide for disposable
batteries; and the distribution of industrial fasteners.
Utility. Utility relies on Valmont's substation structures
and steel, spun concrete and hybrid transmission and distribution poles to bring power to customers
in North America and emerging global markets.