CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink for more information.
As a Centurylink Network Technician Installation and Maintenance, you will be responsible for all aspects of cable repair and maintenance. This includes but is not limited to repairs on POTS and DSL services, buried section repairs, rehab and corrective action on irregular plant conditions in all aerial, buried and underground plant.
- Makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried ,underground, aerial and work locations.
- Uses heavy-duty power equipment (e.g., compressors, pumps, blowers), hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters), in the construction and repair of outside plant facilities.
- Performs testing and turn-up of subscriber lines, carrier plant, and/or fiber optic plant.
- Locates and repairs air leaks in aerial, underground, and/or buried cable.
- Locates, joins, repairs and rearranges cable and cable conductors in buildings and aerial or buried plant.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL) HSI.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables and buildings.
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc.
- Receives service orders, worksheets (detailed diagrams describing nature and location of equipment to be installed or repaired) and repair tickets from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Work independently with little supervision.
- Internal Candidates must meet Time in Title/Location requirements of their current position for consideration.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm's Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, etc.).
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, 965DSP, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to climb and work at elevations up to 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- A valid State driver's license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate,
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- At least 6 months experience within the last five years maintaining/repairing and testing copper and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- At least 6 months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- General experience in testing and turning up DSL, and Carrier Systems.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
Alternate Location: US-Nebraska-West Point
Requisition #: 142695
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.