CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
We have an immediate need for Network Communications Technician. In this role as a Network Communications Technicians you will utilize your technical expertise and savvy to the test while maintaining all digital / analog equipment for the central office and remotes.
- Maintain central office and remotes; monitor, install, maintain and repair all digital/analog equipment such as switching, carrier systems, high-speed internet, ISDN, span lines, Hi-Caps, fiber optics, data circuits, etc.
- Analyze and repair digital equipment using technical meters such as transmission test sets, volt/ohm meters, oscilloscope, TDR OTDR (optical meters), BER test equipment, laptop computers, frequency meters, error rates, and synchronization meters.
- Use a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify, and analyze equipment trouble and take appropriate maintenance action.
- Comprehend and relate complex circuit descriptions of both analog and digital fields.
- Must have the ability to understand flow charts, equipment manuals, technical documentation, and/or computer printouts for the purpose of trouble shooting and maintaining digital and analog systems
- Must be able to relate with customers and employees, and other department personnel for the purpose of resolving technical problems
- Advise the Departmental Supervisor of all changes and/or problems on a continuing basis.
- Perform service orders, trouble resolution, provisioning, and work order routines.
- Operate and maintain computer systems and support devices; install and test system upgrades.
- Respond to emergency service-affecting situations. Assist in trouble isolation of network and subscriber loop problems.
- Maintain and correct records in all related databases.
- Participate and perform to minimum standards in the YouCan program.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
- Assist other technical personnel in their performance of duties when requested.
- Associates degree in electronics, communications or a related field or the equivalent in training and experience
- Five years of current experience in a related telephony field or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Incumbent must be technically proficient in order to perform the specific work requirements of the job in the particular location. Ability to analyze the performance of switching and peripheral data systems and initiate corrective action
- Effective oral and written communication skills, particularly in detailing technical information
- Ability to maintain an excellent attendance record
- Must possess a valid driver's license, be able to safely operate company vehicles and equipment, and maintain a safe driving record.
- Heavy lifting as required
- Knowledge of transmission and supervision characteristics
- Must be able to perform basic computer operational tasks
- Must be able to respond to after hour call-outs, work overtime, shift, weekends, and holidays as required
- SONET - Fiber Optic transport experience Network+, A+, CCNA Certifications Certification in CISCO, Microsoft, or other related network/data systems
- Certification or equivalent training in inter-networking technology and LAN/WAN equipment such as Ethernet switches, routers, ATM, frame relay, IP, DSLAMs (Lucent, CALIX, ADTRAN, etc.), and routing protocols.
- Current experience with NGDLC Systems and Nortel Succession and DMS 100/200 DLC experience Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of Tellabs/AFC; CALIX C7/E5 systems; ADTRAN TA5000/6, TA1148, TA1248; and Alcatel Litespan systems Installation and configuration of network enabling CPE hardware and software for connection to strategic network services to include frame relay, HiCap, xDSL, and other systems utilized by CenturyLink
Alternate Location: US-Pennsylvania-Mount Joy
Requisition #: 127025
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.