CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
The Plant Technician installs, repairs, tests, and modifies line and station telephone equipment for customers using hand tools, power tools, and computer interfaces. Includes repairs to outside wires and tree trimming, and placing new drops.
- Inspect subscriber premises to determine the appropriate method of installation.
- Test newly installed telephone/equipment using testing devices and repairs or replaces faulty equipment. Perform appropriate testing to ensure proper transmission and supervision specifications.
- Work closely with the Dispatch Center for work assignments such as trouble reports and service orders. Record transmission readings, daily time, and function codes in Work Force Management.
- Install and maintain subscriber PairGain Devices.
- Install and maintain Fiber to the prem data and telephone services- Fiber splicing and rearrangement
- Refurbish cable and install facilities within pedestals and/or terminals.
- Climb poles using hooks, ladders or bucket trucks, attach terminal boxes and carrier housings, andrepair or replace defective lines and auxiliary equipment.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Correct prints and maintain as-builts in accordance with company practices and policies.
- Install and maintain data, and station wiring and apparatus, maintain loop plant, including analog and digital subscriber carrier.
- Transport, set up, and run portable generator sets.
- Locate buried telephone and Fiber cables.
- Install/troubleshoot high-speed internet and data networks.
- Convey a positive and professional appearance and demeanor when communicating the company's products and services to our customers.
- Actively support sales and marketing related activities through the YouCan Program.
- Assist other Technical personnel in the performance of their duties when requested
- Education: High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience: Six (6) months experience in the last five (5) years in one or more of the following areas: installation, maintenance, and repair of aerial, buried and underground wire and cable; telephones; switched digital television; High Speed Internet; building wiring; station equipment; or equivalent in education and training.
- Technical proficiency to perform the specific work requirements of the job
- Working knowledge of PC's, including basic computer operational tasks
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for communicating CenturyLink's products and services to customers
- Ability to safely use hooks, ladders, bucket trucks; and to climb poles
- Ability to distinguish colors on facilities
- Ability to lift heavy objects as required
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and at various hours of the day/night
- Ability to respond to after hour call-outs, work overtime, shift, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Ability to travel overnight as necessary for business requirements and training
- Possession of a valid State driver's license with ability to safely operate company vehicles and equipment, and maintain a safe driving record
- Ability to maintain an excellent attendance record
- May be required to reside within certain proximity of a reporting location
- Associate's Degree in Electronics/Communications or equivalent work experience.
- CCNT, CCNA, Network+, or A+ Certifications
- Training on basic IT and network fundamentals.
- Experience in Outside Plant functions
- Subscriber carrier training
- Pole climbing training
- Experience or training in how to read and interpret outside and subscriber plant facility records.
- Internet protocol telephony exposure
- Electronics training or experience that demonstrates knowledge of AC/DC theory
- Experience with splicing fiber optics
- Knowledge of analog and digital transmission
- Experience with installation and troubleshooting of high-speed internet services
- Proven ability to generate sales opportunities during day-to-day customer contact
Alternate Location: US-Texas-San Marcos
Requisition #: 127511
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.