CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Senior Sales Engineer
The Sales Engineer is the technical lead on the account team, responsible for technical and business requirements discovery, telecommunications and CPE solution design/engineering/consulting, and proposal preparation and support.
- Performs customer discovery discussions to understand and document business needs and design requirements necessary for the formulation of optimal solutions
- Creatively designs solutions for customers using the best mix of CenturyLink and vendor-partner products. Alters the design as needed to result in the customer choosing the CenturyLink solution
- Documents, via diagrams as well as writing, and presents the solution to the customer by describing the benefits of the solution
- Builds relationships with customers serving as the technical liaison from pre-sales to post-sales
- Responsible for growing strategic product sales and revenue through proactive engagement with customers
- Participates in strategic and tactical account planning
- Follows industry technology trends through self-study and formal training and shares that knowledge with customers
- Clearly communicates the customer design to the teams responsible for ordering, implementation and ongoing support
- Provides technical training and development support to the local branch
- Leads internal cross-functional teams to obtain required approvals of non-standard designs for customers
- Desire to sell and looks for additional opportunities once introduced to a customer
- Prior experience as a Sales Engineer isn't required; but rather the skills and knowledge needed to be effective
- Business and technical requirements discovery; ability to craft a solution based on those requirements
- Strong written/verbal communication skills and presentation skills as well as strong project management skills
- Customer premises communication (data, video, voice) equipment from major vendors
- Ability to work autonomously on multiple projects and associated deliverables. Time management skills are a critical requirement
- TDM, SONET and Ethernet technologies and products
- Data center infrastructure and networking
- Strong Network Security Skills including Firewall, AVMS, IDS/IPS and Cyber Defense tactics.
- Working knowledge of NIST 800 Series, building network and cloud security solutions governed by FISMA & FedRAMP standards
- Industry certifications for Security CISSP, SANS, GIAC etc are preferred
- Strong knowledge of internetworking designs and their applications, to include IP sub-netting and complex routing techniques on LAN/WAN networks, IP Telephony, Security, network diversity applications and other technical skills documented above
- Consultative selling and customer questioning techniques in order identify new opportunities, sell within in existing accounts and maintain the role of trusted advisor to both the customer and sales team
- Industry leading certifications preferred (Cisco, Juniper and others)
- Effective presentation, analytical, communications and customer relationship skills
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or a related field and/or 6-10 years of equivalent experience in sales engineering, systems engineering (networking services, telephony, IP networking equipment), and/or sales
- Applicant must have relevant experience supporting federal contract vehicles such as Schedule 70, Networx, or having performed work for the upcoming IDIQ, EIS, is a must.
- Applicant must have a strong writing background and will be asked to provide previous customer-facing documentation
Alternate Location: US-Virginia-Arlington
Requisition #: 128715
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.