CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Overview: Taking it to another level connecting our customers to the Power of the Digital World! Are you willing to learn new technologies, provide friendly and knowledgeable solutions to our customers? Join our team as a Technician providing excellence in servicing the customer, selling our products and integrated communications services. What are the advantages to joining our dynamic technical team? Here are just a few - paid training, tuition assistance available, tools, test equipment and a company vehicle you will need to perform your job as well as you will have rapid progressive earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots basic technical problems or issues.
- Reviews and discusses service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers, telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS, Hicap circuits and DSL).
- Makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground, aerial and building work locations.
- Performs splicing functions on all other types of outside plant facilities where the work requires cable sheath openings
- Performs Central Office work as required to meet customer commitments
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Uses hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Able to accurately locate underground cables and to repair cut cable of all sizes.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Successful completion and passage of all applicable employment interviews.
- Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location)
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service, both POTS and HSI.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm's Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, oscilloscopes).
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to perceive differences in telecom wire and cable color.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- A valid State driver's license with a current satisfactory driving record, CDL preferred.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL), including Design Services.
- At least 6 months of experience within the last five years with GPON/HSI/Access Line installation and repair.
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years maintaining/repairing and testing copper and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- General experience in testing and turning up DSL, and Carrier Systems.
- At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, DSL and ISDN circuits or services.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Prior Customer Service experience.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
Alternate Location: US-Wyoming-Douglas
Requisition #: 124216
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.