CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Location: Southfield and Grand Rapids, MI
The Senior Sales Engineer is the technical lead on the account team, responsible for technical and business requirements, discovery, proposal preparation support and technical presentations to customers for CenturyLink's full suite of products and solutions. The Sales Engineer is the account team subject matter expert for: Cloud, telecommunications, data networking, hosting, Virtualization, managed services and CPE solution design/engineering/consulting. The Sales Engineer is also responsible for providing technical training for the sales force.
- Performs customer discovery discussions to understand and document business needs and design requirements necessary for the formulation of optimal Voice, Data, CPE, Hosting or Cloud solutions.
- Creatively designs solutions for customers using the best mix of CenturyLink, CTS and vendor-partner products. The Sales Engineer will customize the design as needed to result in the customer choosing the CenturyLink solution.
- Determine client requirements and provide designs for Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), specialized Enterprise application suites.
- Understand power, cooling and other environmental constraints on a client's outsourced infrastructure.
- Develop and grow technical knowledge base in Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), specialized Enterprise application suites.
- Pre-sales design and implementation expertise in CPE and Enterprise/WAN service integration.
- Documents, via diagrams and writing, and presents the solution to the customer, describes the benefits of the solution.
- Builds relationships with customers by serving as the technical liaison from pre-sales to post-sales, with the goal of being the customer's trusted advisor.
- Responsible for growing strategic product sales and revenue through proactive engagement with customers.
- Participates in strategic and tactical account planning.
- Follows industry technology trends through self-study and formal training and shares that knowledge with customers.
- Clearly communicates the customer design to the teams responsible for ordering, implementation and ongoing support.
- Provides technical training and development support to the local branch.
- Leads internal cross-functional teams to obtain required approvals of non-standard designs for customers.
- A good candidate has a strong technical background in layers 1 through 3 of the OSI model and knowledge of the characteristics of various applications that ride over data networks (i.e. the performance requirements of packetized voice and video and of various data applications), has a desire to sell and is comfortable looking for opportunities once introduced to a customer. Prior experience as a Sales Engineer isn't required; but rather the skills and knowledge needed to be effective.
- Business and technical requirements discovery; ability to craft a solution based on those requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced infrastructure solutions.
- SAN, NAS, and Cloud Storage Solutions.
- IP routing and switching.
- Internet and MPLS-VPN architecture.
- Voice and VoIP technologies and products.
- Customer premises communication (data, video, voice) equipment from major vendors.
- TDM, SONET and Ethernet technologies and products.
- Data center infrastructure and networking.
- Big Data, Middleware, and Object Storage understanding.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or a related field and/or 6-10 years of equivalent experience in sales engineering, systems engineering (Cloud, Hosting, Managed services, networking services, telephony, IP networking equipment), and/or sales.
- Strong knowledge of internetworking designs and their applications, to include Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed), specialized Enterprise application suites, IP subnetting and complex routing techniques on LAN/WAN networks, IP Telephony, Security, network diversity applications and other technical skills documented above.
- Consultative selling and customer questioning techniques in order identify new opportunities, sell within in existing accounts and maintain the role of trusted advisor to both the customer and sales team.
- Industry leading certifications preferred (Cisco, Juniper and others).
- Effective presentation, analytical, communications and customer relationship skills.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work autonomously on multiple projects and associated deliverables. Time management skills are a critical requirement.
- Must have a valid Driver's License with satisfactory driving record.
- Successful completion of Sales Professional Assessment.
Alternate Location: US-Michigan-Southfield
Requisition #: 127917
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.