CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Function: Central Office
Typical Work Hours: 24/7/365
Basic Job Qualifications for INTERNAL Candidates:
- Internal candidates must meet the Time in Title/Location requirements in their current position in order to be considered.
- Responsible for the provisioning and maintenance of Central Office including, but not limited to digital switches, subscriber loop carrier systems, DSL, Ethernet, POTS, digital and optical muxes.
- Responsible for running the diesel backup generators on a routine basis and reporting/creating a maintenance ticket when generators are in need of repair. Assure proper oil, Antifreeze and fuel levels.
- In addition, you will work extensively with AC/DC systems, switches and power monitors. Installs, performs routine maintenance, analyzes defects, tests, perform adjustments, repairs and maintains complex equipment such as switching systems, circuit equipment, network terminal equipment, and data/digital equipment by using electrical and or electronic measuring devices.
- Updates work and maintenance logs through WFA, Word.docs and FOMS databases.
- Plans jobs and determines materials and resources needed to complete tasks.
- Reviews and interprets work orders, wiring lists, wiring diagrams, and equipment drawings and follows standard practices in the performance of job duties.
- Utilizes knowledge of general input and analysis of ESS translations.
- Runs diagnostic test programs, analyzes defects and/or tests various types of digital switch's, IP and sonnet equipment. Uses various types of testing devices, e.g. volt-ohm meters, spectrum analyzer, digital communications, data analyzers, etc.
- Works varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, and/or callouts, weekends and holidays.
- Keeps work team and managers informed of status on work tasks, projects, and problems or obstacles.
- All other duties as assigned.
- At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years diagnosing circuit trouble, and performing routine testing, including measuring AC/DC current using volt ohm meters, TMS, or comparable test equipment.
- At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, OCn, DSL and ISDN circuits or services.
- Basic electricity knowledge as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on the job related training) including: reading & interpreting circuit diagrams, equipment drawings, & technical manuals.
- Working knowledge working with provisioning and testing of Ethernet, (Copper, Fiber)
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of analog, digital test, IP and transmission / sonet equipment, volt-ohm meter, or comparable testing equipment.
- Working knowledge of SONET/ DWDM equipment and services (e.g. DCS and optical muxes).
- Ability to troubleshoot and isolate problems within physical or electrical circuits.
- Ability to respond to callouts within reasonable timeframe.
- Ability to understand MOP and/or CR's and put them together for any type of maintenance work.
- Willing to submit to a Federal background check
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to lifting and/or moving up to 100 pounds.
- May require travel between Central Office locations.
- Requires a valid state drivers' license with current satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g. attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to work aloft (e.g. ladder).
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over the phone.
- Ability to multi task under pressure in an ever changing environment.
- Successful completion and passage of all applicable employment testing and interview.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
- At least 12 months experience within the last five (5) years diagnosing circuit trouble, and performing routine testing, including measuring AC/DC current using volt ohm meters, TDR, or comparable test equipment.
- At least 12 months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, DSL and ISDN circuits or services.
- At least 6 months experience within the last five (5) years running diagnostic test programs, analyzes defects and/or tests various types of telephone switching equipment (5ESS), DMS 100, 200, and 250, Ericsson (AXE) Hosts and remotes.
- Ability to maintain batteries, associated power equipment and generators.
- Experience working in teams or alone problem solving, diagnosing, and repairing maintenance conditions in Central Office equipment.
- Ability to diagnose circuit trouble, and perform routine testing, including measuring current (and loss), balance, power influence, and noise levels.
- Experience in working on a computer in Windows based systems and Microsoft Outlook.
- Experience working independently with little supervision.
- Experience meeting work deadlines.
Alternate Location: US-Nebraska-Norfolk
Requisition #: 127026
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.