CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Senior Sales Engineer
US-Arizona-Phoenix; US-Colorado-Denver; US-Georgia-Atlanta; US-Idaho-Payette; US-Minnesota-Minneota; US-Oregon-Portland; US-Utah-Salt Lake City; US-Washington-Seattle
Senior Sales Engineer will support CenturyLinks Channel Partners, and is accountable for technical sales support of all CenturyLink Products and Services including: Telecommunications, Network, VoIP, Security, Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, and Outsourced infrastructure solutions (managed and un-managed). Responsibilities include proposal preparation support and technical presentations to customers for CenturyLinkA good candidate has a strong technical background in layers 1 through 3 of the OSI model and knowledge of the characteristics of various applications that ride over data networks (i.e. the performance requirements of packetized voice and video and of various data applications), who has a desire to sell and who is comfortable looking for opportunities once introduced to a customer.
- Performs customer discovery discussions to understand and document business needs and design requirements necessary for the formulation of optimal solutions.
- Alters the design as needed to result in the customer choosing CenturyLink Solutions including Managed Hosting Services, Cloud Virtualization, Outsourced Infrastructure Solutions (managed and un-managed), and specialized Enterprise application suites.
- Pre-sales design and implementation expertise in CPE an Enterprise/WAN service integrations.
- Documents, via diagrams and writing, and presents the solution to the customer, describes the benefits of the solution and build relationships with customers.
- Participates in strategic and tactical account planning.
- Follows industry technology trends through self-study and formal training and shares that knowledge with customers.
- Understands power, cooling and other environmental constraints on a clients outsourced infrastructure.
- Clearly communicates the customer design to the teams responsible for ordering, implementation and ongoing support.
- Provides technical training and development support to the local branch.
- Leads internal cross-functional teams to obtain required approvals of non-standard designs for customers.
- Performs customer discover discussions to understand and document business needs and design requirements necessary for the formulation of optimal solutions.
- Creatively designs solutions for customers using the best mix of CenturyLink and vendor-partner products.
- Builds relationships with customers by serving as the technical liaison for pre-sales to post-sales, with the goal of being the customers trusted advisor.
- Responsible for growing strategic product sales and revenue through proactive engagement with customers.
Specific skills and knowledge needed to be effective include:
- Business and technical requirements discovery; ability to craft a solution based on those requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Customer premises communication (data, video, voice) equipment from major vendors; IP routing and switching; Internet and MPLS-VPN architecture; Voice and VoIP technologies and products; TDM, SONET and Ethernet technologies and products; Data center infrastructure and networking.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent education and6+ years of experience in sales engineering, systems engineering (Cloud, Hosting, Managed Services, Networking Services, Telephony, IP Networking Equipment), and/or sales.
- Strong knowledge of internetworking designs and their applications, to include Managed Hosting Services, Cloud, Virtualization, Outsourced Infrastructure Solutions (managed and unmanaged), Specialized Enterprise Application Suites, IP Subnetting and Complex Routing Techniques on LAN/WAN networks, IP Telephony, Security, Network Diversity Applications and other technical skills documented above.
- Consultative selling and customer questioning techniques in order to identify new opportunities to sell within existing accounts and maintain the role of trusted advisor to both the customer and the sales team.
- Effective presentation, analytical, communications and customer relationship skills.
- Industry leading certifications preferred (Cisco, Juniper and others).
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio, Netformix is a plus.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work autonomously on multiple projects and associated deliverables.
- Time management skills are a critical requirement.
- Must have a valid Drivers License with satisfactory driving record.
- Successful completion of Sales Professional Assessment
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.