CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications, hosting, cloud and IT services company enabling millions of customers to transform their businesses and their lives through innovative technology solutions. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, Big Data analytics and IT consulting, and operates more than 55 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia. The company provides broadband, voice, video, data and managed services over a robust 250,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 300,000-route-mile international transport network.
Individual will perform network monitoring and troubleshooting in a 24X7X365 Network Operations Center (NOC). Work location is San Antonio.
- Effectively lead a team of Operations Technician 3 personnel while building positive professional relationships with customers
- Produce and present clear, concise, and professionally written communications and presentations.
- Provide specialized advice and direction within their area of expertise.
- Perform specific responsibilities outlined in operational plans and procedures.
- Plan, schedule, and assign tasks to fulfill objectives and satisfy requirements outlined in operational plans and procedures.
- Set priorities, develop schedules, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan, execute and finalize assigned projects and successfully manage competing priorities
- Train operations technicians on required tasks to perform their job.
- Ensure timely response, escalation, and resolution to promote the rapid restoration of services for all Incidents
- Utilize knowledge and experience to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve simple and complex problems quickly and effectively.
- Make use of trouble ticketing system to and document outages.
- Coordinate and track RMA requests, to obtain RMA authorization requests and completion of RMA submittal forms
- Understand and utilize documented procedures to perform assigned duties.
- Perform rekey of crypto equipment and assist field technicians in the rekey and troubleshooting of crypto equipment.
- Complete, review, and approve required forms and documentation to sustain operations.
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Possess knowledge of Wide Area Network security requirements for protecting computer systems/networks from viruses, data tampering, and unauthorized entry
- Have familiarity of long haul communications equipment such as SONET, ATM, fiber optical multiplexers and DWDM and understanding of LAN/WAN software/hardware technical support; familiarity with optical and IP products, particularly Ciena optical and Cisco IP routing and Juniper devices
- Assist technical subject matter expert to support day-to-day network issues and new network commissioning, configuration, testing and implementation.
- Provide data to support daily and monthly customer reports, incident reports, and ticket audits
- Review and interpret input from several monitoring tools and determines course of action to resolve network issues and outages
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Estimated 15% of time is travel; however, the amount of travel is dependent on the current mission requirement and operations environment.
- Clearance: Active TS/SCI
- Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks
- Familiarity with various vendor platforms for optical networks Ciena, Cisco, Juniper
- Experience in Microsoft products to include Active Directory, SQL Server 05/08, Windows Server 03/08, Office SharePoint Server or Windows SharePoint Services Windows Server Update Services (SMS), and Exchange and 2007.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities. Foster continuous improvement.
- Decisive: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the company.
- Have a minimum of six months experience with current operations.
- Demonstrated advanced hardware and software troubleshooting skills.
- Obtain/maintain advanced (Tier II) level of knowledge within their area of expertise.
- Previous experience with Government networks and customers.
- Work requires non-standard, flexible work schedules
- Ability to interface in a professional manner with management and customer.
- Ability to work in a high stress environment, collaborate very closely with peers, strong communication skills.
- Experience with SONET based, long-haul and metro transport networks, next-generation DWDM wavelength systems desirable.
- Prior NOC experience desired.
- MCSE, CCNA, Security+ desired
Alternate Location: US-Texas-San Antonio
Requisition #: 125707
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.