This professional position is responsible for supervising the accounting staff; checking all transactions for accuracy and reliability; analyzing all payroll and employee benefit plan transactions; reviewing financial statements, other monthly reports, and a variety of tax returns; analyzing costs and preparing operational reports and other duties as assigned by the Controller and Chief Financial and Administration Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for managing general accountant, collections specialist, accounts payable specialist, and accounts receivable. Responsibilities include organizing projects, helping with meeting deadlines and providing guidance for the personnel supervised. Responsible for conducting performance reviews and providing overall managerial support to the Finance team.
- Responsible for supervising the review of payroll and employee benefits transactions including the 401K plan, 125 flexible compensation plan, group insurance premiums and plans, payroll report and payroll tax report (monthly, quarterly and annually, W-2s).
- Responsible for analyzing accounting transactions for accuracy and reliability.
- Responsible for promoting efficiency within the department and adhering to company policies.
- Responsible for analyzing expense account detail and providing support for the transactions via the audit trail at the request of department managers.
- Responsible for managing the bank reconciliation.
- Responsible for reviewing monthly Sales and Use Tax forms.
- Responsible for maintaining and analyzing the financial statements including preparing and reviewing required journal entries, maintaining reporting for the budget vs. actual expenses, the balance sheet accounts and cash flows, the reporting package for the executive committee and other analysis as necessary.
- Responsible for assisting with the preparation of the annual expense budgets, labor budgets, costing reports and the reporting package.
- Responsible for the completion of Personal Property Tax Returns, Sunshine Act reporting, Census reports, Unclaimed Property Returns, 1099s, etc.
- Responsible for reviewing capital investment and employment records for Nebraska LB312 and assisting with preparation of related returns and refunds claims.
- Responsible for assisting with preparations and support for the annual financial audit, annual 401(k) audit, workman’s compensation and business income audit, and any other financial related audits that may arise.
- Responsible for maintaining the chart of accounts and general ledger descriptions.
- Responsible for maintaining capital asset records including analyzing expenditures, analyzing depreciation, the asset justification workflow.
- Responsible for analyzing operational reports (labor, scrap, overhead, variances etc.).
- Responsible for assisting the Cost Accounting Manager with cost-related projects as assigned.
- Responsible for helping Controller maintain a system of internal control, which ensures the safety of the company’s assets and records.
- Responsible for completing special projects determined by Controller and Chief Financial and Administration Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related discipline required.
- Five to seven years of accounting experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment required. Three years of leadership experience within an accounting function.
- Knowledge of general payroll practices very helpful.
- PC literacy with solid knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- CPA, CMA designation helpful.