Physicians Mutual is seeking a Staff Accountant to prepare financial reporting work papers and ensure they include sufficient detail to support financial statements and provide audit trail for internal/external auditors and state examiners. In this role, you would be responsible for the preparation of general ledger account reconciliations and comparing account balances to system generated reports. You would also assist with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements using the guidance of the NAIC Accounting Practices and Procedures Manual.
Travel: Minimal for training seminars or user conferences.
Work Schedule: Standard work schedule (40.0 hours per week). Required to work 10-15 hours per week in excess of standard work schedule during the months of January and February when annual statements are being prepared and less frequently during the remaining months of the year.
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting or Business Administration required
- 1-3 years' experience in an insurance, financial institution or public accounting position preferred
- Thorough understanding of statutory accounting
- Strong analytical abilities to determine proper accounting treatment of expenditures, receipts, calculate adjusting entries, structure file data, etc.
- Good communication skills to prepare management reports, provide information to internal/external auditors or state examiners
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal regulatory guidelines to complete required escheat returns, financial work papers, etc.
- Strong knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Office (Excel and Microsoft Word), Database reporting software, General Ledger software and the ability to utilize personal computer for financial report preparation.
- Ability to complete simultaneous projects within strict deadlines.
Since our start in 1902, Physicians Mutual Insurance Company has held to our founder's promise to provide protection to families when they need it most. In 1970, Physicians Life Insurance Company was founded and became a member of the Physicians Mutual family.
Today, we offer health, life and retirement products to millions of people from all walks of life. We've been here for them. Listening. Answering questions. Empowering them with the specialized guidance they need to make confident decisions about their insurance.
Over the years, our dedication to delivering on our promise has helped make us one of the nation's leading health and life insurance providers. In fact, we are rated in the top 1% of insurance companies. We consistently maintain some of the highest financial strength ratings in the nation from independent insurance analysts, including A.M. Best Company and Weiss Ratings, ensuring we'll be there for our policyowners and our employees far into the future.