General Summary, Purpose and Expectations of Internship:
Internships assists in bridging the gap between the academic environment and a future work environment. The intern will apply what has been learned during coursework (theory, skill development, professionalism, etc.) to the work environment. The intern will gain a better understanding of our corporate environment’s management and technical skills, communication techniques and decision-making processes through hands-on work experience.
The Business Intelligence team is responsible for analytical support of the
business areas in the Marketing, Finance, and Ecommerce departments. The
Business Intelligence Analyst Intern is responsible for supporting data
validation, data visualization, data mining and documentation
involved in determining answers to business questions and quantifying the ROI
on programs and testing. The intern will have the opportunity to work with multiple pillars of data, including customer, product, marketing channel, marketing expense, and ecommerce and website metrics.
Orientation and Training
The intern will be offered a brief orientation about our organization. Information about the job duties will be provided to the intern from the management team of the department upon the start of the internship. The opportunity to attend meetings and brainstorming sessions will be available to the intern.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize customer database reporting tools to extract and manipulate data to analyze trends and patterns in customer behavior
- Develop SQL queries, accessing the company’s Enterprise Data Warehouse, to organize and export data for report creation
- Design dashboards and other data visualizations in Tableau to monitor and summarize business trends
- Assist in the interpretation of reporting and subsequent findings, sharing insights into the data based on the analysis completed
- Assist in improving the integrity of data in the Enterprise Data Warehouse, performing validations and testing and communicating findings and recommendations
- May assist in project assignments, research, analysis, progress summaries, and relaying information
- May answer and make phone calls, respond to questions and send written material as appropriate
- May compose, type and print reports, general letters, spreadsheets, e-mails, and memoranda from rough drafts or general instructions, involving the assembly of data from computer or other record sources
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company
- Maintains regular, predictable attendance
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be enthusiastic to learn and have a desire to gain professional experience
- Understanding of data measurement and data structures
- Proficient oral and written communication skills; strong listening skills
- Ability to follow directions and ask questions if directions are unclear
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to plan, execute and organize projects
- Must have obtained at least Junior status in a Bachelor degree program with completion of a minimum of 48 semester credit hours; OR be enrolled in Graduate degree program.
- Must be currently enrolled at a public or accredited academic institution.
- Intern must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 to continue participation in an internship
- Prefer experience with:
-Data reporting tools
-Relational database query language (preferably SQL)
-Business Intelligence environments
-Data visualization tools (preferably Tableau)
Schedule / Other Qualifications and Physical Requirements
- The job will require 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
PC with Word/Excel, telephone