General Summary, Purpose and Expectations of Internship:
Our Merchandising Internship assists in bridging the gap between the academic environment and a future work environment. The intern will apply what has been learned around Merchandising fundamentals during coursework to identify growth opportunities for our Merchandise Assortment. The intern will gain a better understanding of Merchandise strategy, execution and analysis while working cross-functionally with key teams at our organization..
Orientation and Training
The intern will be offered a brief orientation about our organization. Information about the job duties will be provided to the intern from the management team of the department upon the start of the internship. The opportunity to attend meetings and brainstorming sessions may be available to the intern.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assists in competitive market trend analysis
- May prepare merchandise strategy and category reviews with recommendations for future actions
- May gain firsthand experience with product suppliers
- May answer and make phone calls, respond to questions and send written material as appropriate with cross-functional partners in the organization
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company
- Maintains regular, predictable attendance
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be enthusiastic to learn and have a desire to gain professional experience
- Proficient oral and written communication skills; strong listening skills
- Ability to follow directions and ask questions if directions are unclear
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to plan, execute and organize projects
- Must have obtained at least Junior status in a Bachelor degree program with completion of a minimum of 48 semester credit hours; OR be enrolled in Graduate degree program.
- Must be currently enrolled at a public or accredited academic institution.
- Intern must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 to continue participation in an internship
Schedule / Other Qualifications and Physical Requirements
- The job will require 30-40 hours per week; the days of the week will be determined by the intern and department management
PC with Word/Excel, telephone