General Summary of Purpose:
Responsible for the successful architecture, design, and operation of the enterprise wide network which encompasses all areas of network availability, connectivity, infrastructure configuration, troubleshooting, security, resource monitoring, and capacity planning to support enterprise growth and the corporate business plan. Designs, tests and implements new technology solutions needed within the networking environment. Provides leadership, technical guidance and assists with the management of day to day administration of the Network Infrastructure team, balancing and prioritizing resource requirements and workloads.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and mentoring to Network Infrastructure team members
- Provides feedback to the Manager, Enterprise IT Services regarding team resource allocation and workload
- Troubleshooting of all LAN/WAN issues and infrastructure including, but not limited to: LAN, WAN, general network issues, load balancing and network management tools.
- Takes a lead role in projects and large infrastructure implementations.
- Prepares layouts, configurations, and deployment plans as a normal part of project assignments.
- Studies vendor products to determine those which best meet company needs; assists in presentation of information to management resulting in purchase and installation of hardware, software, and telecommunication equipment.
- Monitors and tunes the enterprise network for optimal performance.
- Maintains and identifies gaps in network security.
- Manages WAN performance and provides bandwidth trending analysis and recommendations.
- Assists in keeping documentation of entire OTC environment current and compliant within applicable regulations. Including but not limited to: Network diagrams, configuration templates, network policies and procedures relating to security, change management and implementation of new infrastructure
- Provides training, as needed, to the Network Team, Application Development Team, Systems Team, Desktop Support Team, Help Desk and the user community.
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed, especially regarding future business expansion or changes and regulatory compliance.
- Informs management of potential network architecture / design problems or deficiencies before they occur and communicate solutions.
- Works effectively with the Information Security Manager to improve network security and compliance.
- Participates in scheduled on-call duties: Must be available 24 hours/day to receive calls from Operators/Users, and to investigate and solve issues.
- Handles indirect/direct leadership and mentoring of Network Team.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Able to document complex technical issues effectively summarizing issues for a range of technical and business management.
- Is self-motivated, goal-oriented, a team player, and possesses proven leadership skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and provide strong leadership, work direction and team facilitation skills. Ability to provide effective feedback to team members.
- Possess expert knowledge of networking technology including but not limited to: TCP/IP protocols, OSI Model, SNMP protocol, frame relay networking, network interface cards, Ethernet switches, network cabling, routers, routing protocols (BGP and OSPF), DNS, load balancing (local and global), wireless, firewalls, and remote access devices.
- Possess expert knowledge of system performance profiling, packet capture, and tuning.
- Possess expert knowledge in LAN and WAN environments.
- Possess programming knowledge in Python a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related / engineering field or equivalent equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Cisco networking certifications a plus.
- Minimum three years experience in data center and network design.
- Minimum five years responsibility managing a network environment preferred.
Other Qualifications and Physical Requirements
- Able to perform job duties in a safe manner
PC, phone, fax, printer, copier, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Dimensions of Responsibility:
Responsible for all areas of enterprise wide network availability, infrastructure system configuration, troubleshooting, security, resource monitoring, and capacity planning to support the corporate business plan.
Description of Working Conditions
Works in a fast-paced office environment with frequent interruptions and changes in work priorities.