- Creates and revises Product Specification Sheets; which includes production information, photos, and diagrams, to facilitate the inspection process at overseas locations
- Studies drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples to efficiently communicate inspection criteria
- Writes material in an understandable format, so people with a non-technical background can easily comprehend it
- Completes writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology
- Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material
- Reviews and researches all nonconforming product received at overseas shipping ports to prevent it from reaching the customer. Includes negotiating discounts, directing foreign vendors in correcting product, assessing fines and cancelling shipments
- Confers and follows up with CDS, Product Development, Sourcing, Merchandising, Quality personnel, and vendors to establish technical specifications and inspection criteria
- Generates inspection reports for failed inspections and distributes to internal and external customers.
- Processes and follows up on inspection related charges and claim items in a timely fashion
- Anticipates issues and works proactively to resolve problems
- Supports vendor compliance from a quality, packaging, safety and claims standpoint
- Maintains internal and external customer relationships
- Maintains regular, predictable attendance
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company
- Must be able to attend face to face meetings on short or little advance notice
- Work in the Merchandising Department office environment requires in-person collaboration among colleagues and contractors
- Serves to represent OTC to the general community, promoting the best interest of OTC
- Coordinates and implements special projects, as needed
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously, while working independently or with others to meet priority deadlines. Self-motivated, results oriented individual
- Must be flexible and have the ability to interact with all levels of the organization. Exhibits a professional and positive attitude
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to make effective decisions. Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to understand technical or scientific material
- Ability to use basic measuring tools to determine product criteria
- Ability to adjust to frequent changes in policies and processes.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office (all applications, including PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, AS400, Lotus Notes. Requires keyboarding a minimum of 35 WPM
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at all internal levels and with vendors
- Ability to manage stress and handle difficult situations in a professional manner
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment
- Ability to perform job duties in a safe manner.
- Here's what you need to join the fun:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Associates Degree in Business or equivalent preferred Experience
- Minimum one year experience with updating and maintaining spreadsheets and databases
- Prior experience in consumer packaged goods or retail is preferred
- Previous quality control or quality assurance experience is preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Access, Word and Excel, and Lotus Notes
- AS400 experience preferred
Other Qualifications and Physical Requirements
- Ability to lift up to 35-50 pounds to waist level occasionally
PC, phone, fax, printer, copier and other miscellaneous office equipment. RF Scanner, utility knife, tape gun, calculator, tape measure, micrometer, caliper, digital camera, digital scale, and air compressor
Dimensions of Responsibility
Builds strong cross-departmental relationships with CDS, Sourcing, Merchandising, Quality, Inventory Management, and outside supply chain partners. Works closely with peer group. Receives written and verbal instructions from the Manager and Supervisor of the department.
Description of Working Conditions
Works in a fast paced environment in a professional office setting that requires meeting many deadlines and changes in work priorities, with occasional warehouse environment tasks.
To apply in less than ten minutes click the Apply button or view a complete list of our current openings at http://www.myotccareer.com
To apply in less than ten minutes, log in to Ultipro.
- Click on the Myself tab
- Click on the My Company tab
- Click on View Opportunities from this section
All work and no play just isn't our style. Join us today!
Oriental Trading Company, a Berkshire Hathaway Company (http://www.orientaltrading.com) is the nation's leading direct marketer of value-priced novelties, toys and party supplies andwelcomes talented, motivated people who want to build a meaningful career and Make The World More Fun!
Oriental Trading Company is the nations largest direct retailer of value-priced party supplies, arts and crafts, school supplies, toys and novelties. Recognized as one of the Top 20 Internet Retailers based on customer satisfaction, Oriental Trading offers over 40,000 products to consumers, educators, businesses and non-profit organizations. Oriental Trading employs approximately 1,600 employees and makes the world more fun with items ranging from pink flamingos and wedding favors to holiday decorations, educational games and crafts. In 2013, Oriental Trading acquired MindWare, an award-winning creator and manufacturer of educational toys and in 2014, acquired SmileMakers, the leader in patient giveaways and practice promotion products. Oriental Trading is a Berkshire Hathaway company.