POSITION/JOB TITLE: English Learner Program (EL) Educational Paraprofessional
The English Learner Program (EL) Paraprofessional's primary responsibilities include assisting the classroom teacher(s) and other support personnel with instruction. The Paraprofessional also helps monitor student progress and performance by collecting data and maintaining records.
MINIMUM JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS
- An Associates degree, OR completion of 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours at an institution of higher learning, OR demonstrated proficiency in the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing and mathematics via state or locally approved competency test.
- Ability to speak, read and write English and Spanish proficiently
- Maintain high level of confidentiality regarding student and staff information.
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, twist, balance, stoop, climb steps and reach overhead
- Committed to helping all children learn - assist students and reinforce learning concepts for individual or small groups
- Willingness to participate in professional development and in-service trainings
- Regular daily attendance is essential
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness
- Ability to work with diverse populations and handle situations with tact and diplomacy
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Possess the manual dexterity, physical ability and stamina for a full day of various physical activity
Work Schedule: 185 duty days
Duty Hours: Specific hours vary by building and position, Monday through Friday
Salary: Wages are administered consistent with negotiated agreement or board adopted salary schedule
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
- Model appropriate behaviors for students.
- Develop and maintain a professional rapport with classroom teacher and other staff.
- Assist students at arrival and dismissal of school.
- Assist in the supervision of students during lunch and recess periods.
- Assist with grading and reviewing homework as instructed by the classroom teacher.
- Assist teachers in monitoring, collecting data and maintaining records regarding student performance and progress.
- Ability to perform routine classroom management and maintenance duties.
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods and recess periods.
- Ability to organize and retrieve materials and organize schedules according to guidelines.
- Knowledge of computers with the ability to assist students with educational technology to include software.
- Performs other duties as assigned
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Aligned with the mission of the Omaha Public Schools is the commitment to educational equity for all students, staff and patrons of the school system. In all places and in all activities of the Omaha Public Schools, it is expected that every individual will be treated in a fair and equitable manner. All conduct will reflect a belief in the dignity and value of each person regardless of the individual's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, citizenship status, or economic status.