Job Title: Parent Involvement Liaison EL
Location: EL Program, Teacher and Administrative Center
Reports To: EL Coordinator
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: Part-time / Non-exempt
Salary Schedule: This is a non-negotiated part-time position. Salary grade 94A.
The Enrichment Parent Liaison will facilitate parent engagement through sewing, school support activities, and cultural orientation sessions as part of the parent engagement strategy of the EL, Refugee, and Migrant Education programs of the Omaha Public Schools. The Enrichment Parent Liaison may deliver classes in person or through a remote learning platform such as Teams. The role also includes facilitating home-school connections and assisting families with accessing services, information and resources. The Enrichment Parent Liaison will be a part of the Omaha Public School Parent Involvement Program for the Office of English Learners, Dual Language, Migrant and Refugee Education.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Teach and lead sewing classes to families.
- Create and lead activities for families that support schools and teachers and encourage parent engagement and involvement.
- Lead cultural orientation sessions.
- Teach English, basic literacy skills in English, and Parent Involvement lessons to equip parents to support their children’s education.
- Facilitate home-school connection for families assisting with access to school information, resources and updates.
- Work closely with district bilingual liaisons and other bilingual staff to facilitate communication between home and school.
- Create daily written lesson plans.
- Keep daily attendance records.
- Oversee pre- and post-testing for adults.
- Reliable attendance.
Additional Duties Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Local travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond in a timely manner.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in school building and central office environments.
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- For schools and district departments to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Creative talent
- Sewing (by hand and machine) and design
- College degree or relevant certificate preferred, or high school diploma with evidence of teaching experience (including volunteer teaching experience).
- Ability to involve adult learners and children in positive learning experiences.
- High levels of cross-cultural competency and communication skills.
- Experience working with families from diverse language and cultural backgrounds.
- General technology skills for remote teaching and learning, including familiarity with Microsoft applications.
- Bilingualism preferred.
Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a part-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska Public School and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining “Highly Qualified status,” etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the Human Resources Department at 531-299-0240.
Omaha Public Schools