POSITION TITLE: Head Boys Cross Country Coach - Westview High School
MINIMUM EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS
Must possess a valid NE Teaching Certificate or NE Administrative and Supervisory Certificate or a NE Special Services Certificate endorsed in coaching.
- Bachelors degree, with emphasis in Education preferred
- Current or prospective employment as a teacher in the Omaha Public Schools and the identified site preferred
- Individual must be able to meet Nebraska School Activities Association guidelines, which include Nebraska Teaching Certificate and/or Special Services Certificate with endorsement in coaching.
- High School coaching experience in the specified sport, with prior head coaching experience preferred
- The varsity position requires deep knowledge of the sport and must be able to foster positive human relationships and to work effectively with students, staff, parents and community.
- The varsity coach must exhibit high standards of professional ethics and conduct.
Location: Westview High School
Reports to: Building Principal and Athletic Director
The Head Boys Cross Country Coach has the responsibility for leading the athletics program in a manner that serves the best interests of the school district and of the student athletes who participate at any level in that program. The head coach works cooperatively with the administrators of the school to assure that the activities related to the program are consistent with building needs and practices as well as the rules identified by the Metropolitan High School Activities Association and the Nebraska School Activities Association. The head coach assures that all program staff and participating students adhere to the Policies and Regulations and the Practices and Procedures of the Board of Education.
- Supervises the athletics program in the specified sport at all levels of competition offered by the school, ensuring the safety and well being of all student participants.
- Sets and maintains appropriately high expectations for learning and classroom performance as a condition for participation in athletics. Assures that students’ academic performance is monitored and supported to ensure success.
- Sets and maintains high behavioral expectations for student athletes and staff who participate in the program, assuring that all conduct presents the school and the school district in a positive manner. Supports the values of competitive sports including hospitality, sportsmanship, and fair play.
- Develops and communicates an administratively approved plan for teaching and supporting appropriate student behavior including possible consequences for unacceptable behavior. Assures that the plan is implemented consistently and fairly to support the development of the student athletes and promote the success of the athletics program.
- Develops and implements a cohesive athletics program in the specified sport that teaches skills and promotes team play of all program participants through instruction, practice, and competitive events.
- Implements and supports the letter and the spirit of eligibility criteria for the participation of student athletes as determined by the school and the district, as well as those of the Metropolitan High School Activities Association and the Nebraska School Activities Association.
- Assists the Athletic Director and the building principal in selecting, assigning, supervising, developing, and evaluating staff at all levels of the program.
- Promotes the athletics program through district-approved activities with elementary and middle school aged students. These activities are offered in order to enhance the development of skills and knowledge of the sport in young children.
- Assists student athletes who wish to pursue higher education and are capable of participating in athletics beyond the high school level with understanding opportunities, pursuing scholarships and financial support, and selecting appropriate options.
- Communicates effectively with students, staff, parents, and the public. Follows district guidelines in communicating with the media.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Omaha Public Schools