Steps to Become a Volunteer in Omaha Public Schools
- Contact the school to discuss a volunteer opportunity.
- Complete volunteer application online.
- Building principal needs to approve the volunteer activity request.
- Human Resources will communicate via email to the principal and volunteer applicant of approval or denial of request.
- Volunteer activity can begin AFTER approval email is received from Human Resources.
- All volunteers must follow Omaha Public Schools guidelines regarding safe and responsible return to school.
Volunteers provide the opportunity for parents and the community to enrich the education of students and are vital to the success of all Omaha Public Schools students. OPS seeks dedicated volunteers to carry out a variety of duties ranging from chaperoning on field trips to tutoring, mentoring children, assisting with fundraising efforts and coaching our student athletes. Thank you for your application to be a volunteer in our schools! We want this to be a rewarding experience for you and OPS appreciates your willingness and support.
All volunteer records are inactivated the last day of each school year. All volunteers must reapply each school year to be considered for volunteer opportunities.
New Requirements/Process for School Volunteers!
Beginning August 2017, Omaha Public Schools District is implementing a new system for all adults who wish to volunteer on a school campus or chaperone day field trips, and district sponsored activity with students. This new Volunteer Application will allow the District and all schools to better track and provide the appropriate level of clearance for school volunteers.
The new Volunteer Application includes three (3) levels of volunteer clearance and tracking. As part of the online application process, the building principal will determine the clearance level of the volunteer activity. The principal will select from one of the clearance levels below:
- Level 1. Is intended for activities that are at the school. This is the most basic level and does not involve student contact. Examples include clerical work, filing in the office area.
- Level 2. Is intended for activities where the Volunteer is ALWAYS in a group setting with certificated OPS staff member present. This level of clearance will allow you to act as a volunteer in classrooms, support campus activities such as Room Parent, Library Aide.
- Level 3. Requires a criminal background check and approval through Human Resources. This level is intended for individuals who may be working one on one with a student, with or without direct supervision of a certificated staff OPS staff member, which may be taking place either on or off district property. This level of clearance will allow you to act as a volunteer in activities, involved in supervising students, such as tutors, field trip or dance chaperones, coaches, and mentors.
Please know that the District will not be asking volunteer applicants to incur any of the costs associated with these clearance processes.
Omaha Public Schools