Position Beginning August 2021 (For the 21/22 School Year)
Job Title: Paraprofessional, Library Aide
Position Purpose: Primary responsibilities are to maintain a caring and instructional climate by providing students with a positive neutral environment. The Paraprofessional’s primary responsibilities include assisting the library media teacher(s) and other support personnel with instruction. The Paraprofessional also helps monitor student progress and performance by collecting data and maintaining records.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Uses the online circulation system to:
- Check in and out materials to staff and students, adhering to library policies regarding privacy and access to resources
- Generate overdue and lost item notices
- Remove materials from circulation
- Assist with inventory of library materials
- Manage print materials in the library by:
- Assisting students and staff with locating materials
- Gathering and send materials to teachers upon request
- Sending requested materials to other libraries through inter office mail
- Returning borrowed materials to lending libraries
- Assessing returned books for any damage. Repair damaged items.
- Shelving items in numerical and alphabetical order based on the organization of the library with a high level of accuracy
- Facing and straightening of shelves
- Reading shelves to make sure books are in the proper order
- Boxing discarded materials for removal from the library
- Process new library materials by:
- Reconciling purchase orders and invoices to ensure delivery of all new materials
- Checking new materials for irregularities or damage
- Checking in new materials through the online circulation system to verify the catalog records, spine labels, and barcodes are correct
- Adding book jackets or covers, barcodes, and spine labels as needed
- Assist the school librarian by:
- Supporting learning activities in the library
- Helping staff and students use digital tools such as Microsoft products and digital resources
- Marketing the school library through development of engaging displays, shelf-face outs of books, brochures, flyers, announcements, etc.
- Helping to supervise students in the library
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere in the library for staff, students, and visitors by interacting with them in a friendly and professional manner
- Cleaning areas as needed, including wiping down student tables & chairs, dusting shelves, and wiping down computer keyboards, mice, and monitors.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the principal or other administrative staff as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position requires the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard library and school building environment
- Occasional overtime may be required by the supervisor
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and use information from written materials and visual displays.
- Ability to work in standing/walking positions on a frequent basis throughout the work shift.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop and maintain balance while performing job related tasks.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An Associates degree, OR completion of 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours at an institution of higher learning, OR demonstrated proficiency in the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing and mathematics via state or locally approved competency test.
- Previous experience working in a public school or library setting preferred.
- Evidence of good mental and physical health.
- Ability to collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Demonstrates a positive attendance record and prior work history.
- Ability to use a computer required.
- Ability to work with and meet individual needs of students.
- Ability to comply with OPS’s policies and practices for discipline, philosophy, and guidelines.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to perform a variety of assigned record keeping duties.
- Ability to serve as a positive, mature role model.
- Willingness to learn alternative methods of dealing with inappropriate school behavior.
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: ___ hours per day, Monday - Friday, 10 month/Non-Exempt
Salary Schedule: Wages are administered consistent with negotiated agreement or board adopted salary schedule
Terms of Employment:
This position is treated as a non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining “Highly Qualified status,” etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha public schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Omaha Public Schools