Position Starting - August 2021
POSITION TITLE: Secretary 3 - Attendance
Reports to: Building Principal
Salary Schedule: 32C - $13.58 per hour (Based on Step 1 of the 2020/21 Salary Schedule)
Hours to Work: 8.0 hours per day
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: Full-time, 202 days per year / Non- Exempt
Position Purpose: Performs a wide variety of duties, some of a confidential nature. Performs general secretarial duties which may be required but not limited to answering phones, basic computer functions, typing, filing, copying, distributing mail, proofreading, etc. Provides monitoring of students as needed.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Responds to walk in, telephone, doorbell, and intercom customer services needs in a timely, positive, and responsive way.
- Updates student records and attendance in District software systems.
- Maintains attendance records for field trips.
- Enrolls new students in District software systems.
- Responds to and processes attendance records and requests.
- Prepares and sends Referral of Absence Behavior (RAB) and GED letters.
- Maintains Student Information Packet (SIP) and Handbook cards.
- Works with office staff to distribute student, parent, and staff communications.
- Completes copy requests for teachers and administrators as needed.
- Uses intra-school communication systems including radio, intercom, various alarms, paging, etc. as required.
- Uses mail merge function to create labels, certificates, mailings, and files regularly.
- Monitors and directs the work of student office aides.
- Follows oral and written directions accurately.
- Serves as a backup for other office staff as needed.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the principal or other administrative staff as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position requires the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Occasional overtime may be required by the supervisor
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and use information from written materials and visual displays.
- Ability to work in standing/walking positions on a frequent basis throughout the work shift.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop and maintain balance while performing job related tasks.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities
- Additional demands may be required upon request from the Supervisor
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Previous experience working in an office setting is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a public school setting is preferred.
- Proficient PC computer knowledge is required.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the English language to read and communicate with others.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the Spanish language to read and communicate with others is preferred.
- Knowledge of District computer software preferred.
- Ability and patience to work with students and parents.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrate a positive attendance record and prior work history
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
Omaha public schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Omaha Public Schools