• High school diploma required
• Minumum of 48 semester credits preferred
• Regular work attendance is essential
• Evidence of good mental and physical health
• Training in health care related field helpful
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Follow written and oral directions to carry out educational programs of students
Reports to: Building Principal
Work Schedule: 183 days, Full-time 10-month
Salary Schedule: $13.04 per hour (Based on 2019/2020 Salary Schedule)
Hours to Work: 7.0 hours, daily M-F
Purpose: To assist classroom teacher to carry out educational programs for students in the Mentally Handicapped Program in the classroom and community settings.
• To assist or directly carry out educational activities designed by teacher and support personnel; i.e., O.T., P.T., Speech Pathologist, etc.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, and be able to adapt to the physical demands of this position.
• To assist students with toileting needs and diaper changing.
• To carry out self-care programs with students including feeding, tooth brushing and grooming.
• To assist with unloading and loading students on the van/bus.
• To assist in making the classroom environment cheerful and attractive.
• To maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in the classroom and restrooms.
• To collect and record data.
• To make teaching materials related to the curriculum.
• To carry out structured behavior programs as directed by professional staff.
• To maintain confidentiality of student information.
• To interact/communicate with students as directed by professional staff.
• To perform as a positive member of the educational teamwork effectively with other paraprofessionals in the classroom and a variety of professional staff affiliated with the program.
• To carry out programs in both school and non-school settings as directed.
• To perform other duties as assigned.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Omaha Public Schools