POSITION TITLE: Assistant Coach, Middle School
Note: This posting was updated 8/20/19
The Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) has adopted legislation requiring certification for head and assistant coaches at the high school level. Certification is defined by having a current teaching or administrative certificate through the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE). It is also defined as having a Special Services Certification with an endorsement in the area of coaching. Should you be approved by Human Resources and the Athletic Director, you will be required to hold a valid NDE to coach at the high school level.
The assistant coach for any sport has the responsibility for supporting the athletics program in a manner that serves the best interests of the school district and of the student athletes who participate in that program. The assistant coach supports and works cooperatively with the varsity head coach, performing all assigned duties and providing support and assistance as requested. The assistant coach ensures that actions and activities are consistent with and supportive of the athletics program as well as the rules identified by the Nebraska School Activities Association. The assistant coach adheres at all times to the Policies and Regulations and the Practices and Procedures of the Board of Education.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the safety and well-being of all student participants.
- Attends practices and competitive events consistently, demonstrating punctual arrival.
- Supports and applies approved expectations for learning and classroom performance as a condition for participation in athletics. Monitors and supports students’ academic performance to ensure success.
- Sets and maintains high expectations for the conduct of student athletes, supervising students to assure that all conduct presents the school and the school district in a positive manner.
- Supports and applies the head coach’s plan for teaching and encouraging appropriate student behavior including possible consequences for unacceptable behavior. Assures that the plan is used to support the development of the student athletes and to promote the success of the athletics program.
- Supports and teaches the athletics program designed by the head coach, enhancing the development of skills and encouraging team play during instruction, practice, and competitive events.
- Gathers accurate information regarding eligibility of student athletes and provides it to the head coach in a timely manner. Supports the letter and the spirit of eligibility criteria as determined by the school and the district, as well as local and state governing bodies.
- Participates in district-approved activities with elementary students at the request of the head coach.
- Communicates effectively with students, staff, and parents.
- Communicates with the head coach regarding important changes, problems or developments potentially affecting the athletics program or the school.
- Works cooperatively with all coaches and officials to provide the best possible experience for student-athletes and fans.
- Supports and contributes to the success of the entire athletics program by encouraging student participation and support for all programs and assisting other programs whenever possible.
- Communicates with building administrators regarding important changes, problems or developments potentially affecting the athletics program or the school.
- Supports and contributes to the success of the entire athletics program and the school by encouraging student participation and support for all programs and assisting other programs and coaches whenever possible.
- Plans and schedules all activities related to the athletics program in conjunction with the Head Coach and Athletic Director and in conformance with rules of local and state governing bodies.
- May design and implement strength and conditioning program that supports the health and safety of student-athletes and promotes the success of the program.
- Designs practice activities that enhance the development of athletics skills, deepen student-athletes’ understanding of the sport, and emphasize the importance of team play to the success of the program. Practices are ordered, with purposeful activities designed to elicit high levels of participation and to emphasize elements of individual and team excellence.
- Leads student athletes and staff in preparing for and participating in competitive events. Manages all resources effectively to enhance growth, to maximize opportunities for success, and to present the program and the school in a positive manner.
- Assures that all student participants have arrangements for safe return to the care of respective parent(s) or guardian(s) at the conclusion of activities daily.
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility and reports concerns immediately to the appropriate authority.
- Establishes and maintains an inventory of equipment used in the athletics program and is accountable for the condition and return of all equipment. Monitors program needs and recommends replacement of equipment, supplies, and uniforms in advance of need when possible.
- Obtains required documentation regarding student eligibility for participation in interscholastic athletics.
- Assures that reliable data regarding individual and team performances are maintained and reported in a timely manner.
- Maintains records regarding financial expenditures and reimbursements and submits required reports in a timely manner.
- Submits an end-of-season report reporting required data and evaluating the success of the program including recommendations for its improvement
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Omaha Public Schools