Job Title: Secretary 4 – Data/Registrar
Location: As Assigned by OPS Administration
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: Full-time, 12 month / Non-Exempt
Salary Schedule: This is a negotiated position. Wages are administrated consistent with the negotiated agreement.
Position Purpose: Performs a wide variety of duties, some of a confidential nature. Performs general secretarial duties which may be required but not limited to answering phones, basic computer functions, typing, filing, copying, distributing mail, proofreading, etc. Provides monitoring of students as needed.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Greets and assists office visitors in a positive and professional manner.
- Responds to customer service needs over the phone in a timely, responsive way.
- Assists with the organization and coordination of All School Orientation and parochial school registration night.
- Enrolls and registers incoming students.
- Initiates requests for student records and transcripts.
- Processes all requests for transcripts.
- Schedules summer counseling registration appointments.
- Assists with report card and progress report mailings.
- Processes hold requests on report cards.
- Creates and sends fine letters at the end of the school year.
- Enters data and transcripts into district software.
- Inputs grade changes into district software, adjusts records for students receiving .5 credits.
- Inputs grade level retentions and promotions into district software.
- Assists with summer school registration, audit reports, and data entry.-
- Processes good student eligibility requests for insurance and social security purposes.
- Processes free and reduced lunch applications.
- Documents National Honor Society participation on transcripts.
- Audits and assists with coordination of diploma disbursement.
- Conducts membership counts and creates reports as appropriate.
- Assists with the assignment of student lockers.
- Creates reports and records data as appropriate.
- Uses mail merge function to create labels, certificates, mailings, and files regularly.
- Creates programs, rosters, certificates, and other word processing documents.
- Follows oral and written directions accurately.
- Supports the Academic Director or designated Records Counselor.
- Supports customers with the parent portal information system, forwards password requests to IMS help desk.
- Assists with organizing and coordination of parent-teacher conferences including set up, tear down, and meals.
- Serves as a backup to distribute USPS and interschool mail.
- Serves as a backup to the Treasurer to collect fine money as needed.
- Serves as a backup to the Activities.
- Serves as a backup for substitute teachers, prints absence list & class rosters, prepares folders, and greets substitutes.
- Serves as back up for the Attendance Secretary.
- Assists with Cum filing and distribution for both incoming and outgoing students.
- Contact person for District Communication for emergency issues.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the principal or other administrative staff as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position requires the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Occasional overtime may be required by the supervisor
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and use information from written materials and visual displays.
- Ability to work in standing/walking positions on a frequent basis throughout the work shift.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop and maintain balance while performing job related tasks.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities
- Additional demands may be required upon request from the Supervisor
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Previous experience working in an office setting is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a public school setting is preferred.
- Proficient PC computer knowledge is required.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the English language to read and communicate with others.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the Spanish language to read and communicate with others is preferred.
- Knowledge of District computer software preferred.
- Ability and patience to work with students and parents.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrate a positive attendance record and prior work history
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining “Highly Qualified status,” etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha public schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Omaha Public Schools