Job Title: Educational Technician 4 – Accounting Clerk
Location: Accounting and Finance Office, Teacher and Administrative Center 3215 Cuming St, 68131
Reports To: Controller, Accounting and Finance Office
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 261 Duty Days, non-exempt
Salary Schedule: 36F
Position Purpose: This position completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying and reconciling invoices.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Process payment requests of invoices for goods and services.
- Review payment requests for appropriate budget coding and appropriate authorized signatures.
- Verify and match purchase orders amounts against invoice amounts, verify items have been received, process for payment and file all supporting documentation, as appropriate.
- Research vendor requests for payment clarification and resolve discrepancies.
- Assist external auditors during annual audit and prepare audit work papers, as required.
- Research any discrepancies in billings and take appropriate action to ensure correction.
- Schedule payments for check processing.
- Print and verify warrants (checks) for Board of Education authorized payments.
- Prepare adjusting journal voucher entries, as required.
- Prepare correspondence for vendors as required.
- Work collaboratively with the Purchasing Department for issue resolution on open purchase orders.
- Process employee’s expense reimbursement in accordance with the District travel policies.
- The Accounts Payable Supervisor, Accounting Manager or Controller may assign other duties.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position requires knowledge in using Microsoft EXCEL on a personal computer. Need to have the ability to use a 10-key adding machine by touch.
Travel: Minimal travel will be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in an office environment, school buildings and warehouse setting.
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of two year associates degree in accounting or comparable accounting experience.
- One to three years previous account payable experience.
- Knowledge of fund accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of People Soft Accounts Payable applications..
- Knowledgeable in expense reimbursement practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with fellow staff members and business contacts..
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong math skills.
- Proficient at creating and using spreadsheets and WORD.
- Demonstrated ability to process transactions in a double entry accounting system.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of bookkeeping skills.
Terms of Employment:
This position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining “Highly Qualified status,” etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.