Location: Elkhorn Service Center, Elkhorn, NE
Duration: May 2022 August 2022
Work Schedule: (Monday Thursday) or (Tuesday Friday) 10hr days
The Intern will assist electricians in the construction, maintenance and operation of substation facilities to ensure reliable electrical service to OPPD customers:
- Assists in the construction of transmission and distribution substations by installing and commissioning equipment used for power delivery by OPPD. Work includes foundation installation, structural steel assembly, and general electrical construction.
- Assists in the maintenance of transmission and distribution substations by overhauling, troubleshooting, repairing and testing equipment of power equipment such as circuit breakers, transformers, voltage regulators, reclosers, and other equipment.
- Assists in the safe operation of transmission and distribution equipment used for power delivery by OPPD.
- Transports equipment and materials to and from worksites.
Perform complex maintenance, testing, troubleshooting, repair and installation of protective relaying, control and automation systems associated with the District's generating, transmission and distribution systems.
- Install, maintain, test, troubleshoot and repair protective relays, control equipment, RTU's, SCADA and associated devices under the direct supervision of a Senior or 1st Class Relay Specialist.
- Assist with reviewing prints and records to prepare cutover procedures on new installation or revisions to existing protection and control schemes to ensure the integrity of the protection and supervisory control system.
- Assist in preparing, conducting, and evaluating comprehensive cutover, functional and test procedures on the protection and supervisory control system and associated devices. Interpret the results of test procedures.
- Troubleshoot, analyze and determine the cause of anomalies within protection and supervisory control schemes. Initiate corrective action as necessary.
- Perform all assigned construction, operation, testing and maintenance tasks in accordance with the District's Safety Manual, the Hold Order System, and the Personal Protective Grounding Manual, standards and practices.
Specific fields of study required: Substation Technology, Electrical Technology, Automation, Relay Protection, Electromechanical Technology or Instrumentation and Control
- Working towards earning an Associates of Applied Science degree
- 2.5 GPA or higher is required
- Current full-time student attending an accredited college/university
At Omaha Public Power District, we're passionate about three things: power, the people who make it, and the people who rely on it.
WE ARE: Where the Light Starts. OPPD is the 12th-largest public power utility in the U.S., serving over 850,000 people across 5,000 square miles and 13 counties.
WE'RE COMMITTED TO: Each other and the people we serve. This commitment drives us. We're dedicated to providing our communities with affordable, reliable, and environmentally sensitive energy services today, tomorrow, and well into the future.
OUR JOB: To provide power with a purpose. We have real impact - on people's lives, on the environment, and on the future of energy. We're always looking for bright, capable people who want an opportunity to lead from where you arewherever you are and know that your ideas will be heard. If you want to be a source of real, positive change for the community and the people who live in this region, then working for a company acknowledged for caring about these same things is likely a priority for you as well.
Org Marketing Statement
EOE: Protected Veterans/Disability
How To Apply
Apply online at www.oppd.com, on or before February 14, 2022
Darlene H. Brown, MS, PHR, SHRM-CP - email@example.com
**PLEASE NOTE** - Your application has not been submitted unless you have applied for a specific requisition. If you have not chosen a specific opening, your application will remain in DRAFT form and will not be viewed by our Human Capital staff.
***OPPD is very aware of the potential risks of COVID-19 and are evaluating all necessary precautions. With that, we are limiting travel and face to face interviews until further notice, so please expect some delays in processing of your application of interest.***