NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
National Indemnity Company, a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, has grown to possess tremendous financial strength under the direction of Warren Buffett, Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. We provide a challenging environment and a friendly atmosphere where the achievements of talented individuals are appreciated and rewarded.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Claim Examiner. This individual will evaluate, manage and resolve claims reported under Company insurance policies within established authority and as required by applicable law.
- Investigate, evaluate and settle or manage the defense of claims, including selection and oversight of independent adjusters and counsel and control of loss adjustment expenses, within established authority.
- Identify, evaluate and determine, in consultation with Company counsel as necessary, respective rights and obligations of Company, Insured and third parties under all applicable insurance policies.
- Establish and modify loss and expense reserves as information regarding claim develops.
- Prepare accurate and timely case summaries, evaluations and reports; prepare, maintain and periodically review appropriate Claim Files and journals and all required electronic and other records, and provide information regarding claims as required.
- Maintain current knowledge of insurance and claim management principles and practices through review of published opinions, trade periodicals and other professional literature and presentations.
- Travel to represent Company in settlement conferences and other proceedings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field or equivalent, Law Degree preferred
- Interpretation and application of insurance contracts
- Insurance claim procedures, loss evaluation methods and claim resolution alternatives
- 3 to 5 years related work experience
- Analyze data, apply knowledge and logic, and draw conclusions
- Work well with others
- Maintain strict confidentiality
- Work independently within established authority
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.