NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
Responsible for certain activities of several insurance and reinsurance operations and/or contracted insurance programs (i.e. "programs") within the responsibilities of the Insurance Data Management Unit, whether originating from Home Office or in other (non-Home Office) locations. The activities include but are not limited to insurance data collection, data transfers, data manipulation and/or analysis, accounting, cash activity, financial and statistical reporting.
- Compiles, reviews, analyzes and reconciles, and interprets financial and insurance information from various sources and prepares working papers, supplementary schedules for one or more companies or programs and summarizes program underwriting results. Prepares upload files for the General Ledger, the Financial Database and/or IDTS, answers questions and provides information as needed to management, auditors, examiners, actuary and accountants. This may include compiling, verifying, and providing coding for premium and claims for mainframe entry.
- Processes payment requests for funding programs and loss payments by obtaining and verifying approvals for payments and ensuring timely payments. Records cash receipts and payments for programs into control spreadsheets. Maintains controls and prepares reconciliations of cash for programs, updating general ledgers with coding and journal entries. Prepares intercompany cash settlements documents for programs and ensures that settlements are made and recorded properly.
- Coordinates communication of daily, monthly, and year end accounting, and financial statement and/or program information between Boston, Massachusetts and/or other program operating locations and Omaha. Responsible for review, analysis, and inquiries with respect to this information, including development and completion of management reports.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of PC program applications using spreadsheet and/or database software to create processing systems and specific worksheets and databases used to meet various job duties. Assists in the development and maintenance of downloaded PC databases from mainframe computer systems as needed. May assist in development of mainframe computer systems for use with insurance company data and systems.
- Maintains current working knowledge of related insurance accounting and financial reporting developments by researching (reading related materials) and discussing with others.
- Responds to inquiries from internal and external auditors regarding financial transactions, balances and procedures.
- Performs special projects or related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
- Bachelor degree in accounting, math, business, or related field or equivalent
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Personal computer, related software, and basic applications such as Excel and Word
- Life or property casualty insurance accounting experience
- Knowledge of financial reporting
- 1-2 years related work experience
- Company and department practices and procedures
- Knowledge of statutory accounting principles
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.