NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
We are seeking an attorney for a position in our Legal Department based in Omaha, Nebraska. The position will have an emphasis on litigation. As a valued team member, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with members of our various business units. The individual will advise the Company regarding relevant legal issues and provide legal support to Company departments. Responsibilities will include research, analysis, and litigation of issues related to property/casualty insurance and general corporate matters. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), strong analytical skills, solid academic credentials (top 20%), and 3-4 years legal experience.
- Provides legal advice to all departments of the Company.
- Manages litigation on behalf of the Company, including management of discovery and selection and oversight of counsel.
- Researches legal issues and insurance laws and regulations for property/casualty and life/health business and related topics.
- Drafts and reviews contracts, settlement agreements, policy forms, endorsements and other legal documents.
- Represents Company in legal, regulatory and administrative proceedings.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant laws, insurance principles and claim management practices through review of published opinions, industry publications, professional literature, seminars and other educational resources.
- Attends settlement conferences, mediations, hearings, administrative proceedings and trials.
- Performs other legal duties as assigned.
- Law degree
- State bar admission in good standing
- Excellent academic credentials
- Knowledge of Legal research methods
- 3-4 years legal experience
- Insurance experience
- Litigation experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Investigation
- Evaluation Skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Excellent ability to read for comprehension
- Analyze data, apply knowledge and logic, and draw conclusions
- Work independently
- Maintain strict confidentiality
- Meet deadlines
- Work well with others
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.