Company:NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
Responsible for preparing, analyzing, and communicating the internal and external Company financial statements, working papers, and statistical and management information related to one or more companies and/or divisions.
- Compiles, reviews, analyzes and reconciles, and interprets financial information from various sources and prepares working papers and internal, statutory and GAAP basis Company financial statements and supplementary schedules for one or more companies or branches. (This includes the statutory annual statement schedules and separate GAAP basis financial statement packages for assigned companies or branches.)
- Reconcile assigned company investment and cash accounts, as well as basic general ledger account reconciliations. Provide Financial Administrator and company accountants with support in preparing schedules and research/analysis for more difficult account reconciliations.
- May review or determine general ledger account, department and allocation coding for invoices, check requests, and travel expense reimbursements for assigned companies by understanding nature of the invoice or asking Management to clarify nature of disbursement as needed. Verifies requests have been appropriately approved.
- May enter data into accounts payable software or give payment request documentation to Accounting Technician to enter into software. May review accounts payable software screen to select invoices due for payment and creates computer file of invoices to be paid. Evaluates functionality of accounts payable software and process of accounting for disbursements to assist in defining required changes to maximum efficiency while maintaining appropriate internal controls. Documents system anomalies and discusses with Supervisor.
- Maintains working knowledge of related insurance accounting and financial reporting developments by locating and reading relevant internet based or hard copy instructions, text books, and/or state regulations and discussing with others.
- Responds to inquiries and answers questions from internal, external, or insurance department auditors regarding financial transactions, balances, and procedures.
- Performs special projects or related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
- Bachelor degree in accounting or related field or equivalent
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Personal computer, related software, and basic applications such as Excel and Word
- 1-2 years related work experience
- Company and department practices and procedures
- Knowledge of statutory accounting principles