Company:NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
- Serves as Information Systems Manager responsible for managing, directing and making daily decisions on various software systems developed and used by the primary group operations for underwriting, billing and sales activities. Responsible for participating and overseeing the research, development, infrastructure, testing, delivery and maintenance of the software systems. Identifies problems, researches potential solutions, makes decisions regarding necessary changes, and evaluates the programming language and coding approach to use in the rating, policy contract, billing, sales and other software products. Makes development decisions and determines priorities within authority for coding new products and for revising and updating existing software applications.
- Serves as Information Systems Manager responsible for managing, directing and making daily decisions on the hardware design and infrastructure relating to the software applications designed for external usage by insureds, potential clients, agents, etc. Responsible for monitoring the effectiveness, redundancy, scalability and security of the various systems contained in the IS infrastructure. Troubleshoots hardware and software problems and makes recommendations for solving difficult problems to senior management. Such effort requires a broad knowledge of the Company's IS network, the Internet as well as the ever-changing information technology world.
- Designs activities of unit personnel in determining work procedures, issuing written and oral instructions, analyzing and resolving work problems, and assisting employees in solving work problems. Supervises the training of unit personnel. Interviews job candidates and initiates or recommends personnel actions including hiring, promotions, transfers, discharges, disciplinary measures, performance appraisals, salary adjustments, and staffing levels.
- Directs staff in the design, programming, maintenance, and implementation of various Company software technologies which may include Company rating software products (NICO-Rate, GarageRate, GLS, etc.), Company contract software products (NIFIS, GLS Issuance, Garage, ACES Endorsement software, etc.), billing software products, sales and marketing software applications, and others. Directs staff and works through software product administrators to affect ongoing changes including new applications, product conversions and substantial product enhancements.
- Designs and directs staff in the design, programming, maintenance, testing, disaster recovery and implementation of computer application projects for existing product lines in the primary group operation. Participates in the research and evaluation process required to identify where new computer applications and software would provide better information and/or make workflow easier and more efficient.
- Analyzes and identifies inefficiencies or problems within software applications, solves problems, and determines need for changes to the hardware or software to enhance performance or capabilities of the systems. Analyzes and directs others in the programming efforts relating to data connectivity between various software products allowing for better, more efficient information movement and availability.
- Communicates directly with Agents and Agency IT personnel to provide technical support on how our sales, contract, billing and other software products impact agency operations and how they could be designed more efficiently to work in the agencies. This includes but is not limited to the installation and maintenance of the various software products, determining suitability of the Agent's computer hardware, recommendation of changes to Agent's hardware and software, operating system configuration, troubleshooting environmental issues, and answering questions. Recommends changes to the Agent's hardware, software and operating systems.
- Oversees testing processes for software applications and connectivity between systems. Responsible for reasonable product quality and maintenance standards for software products distributed to external agents and other customers.
- Performs related duties as situation dictates such as participating in special projects, etc.
*Bachelor degree in computer science, management information systems, computer engineering, or related field or experience
*5-7 years related work experience
*Personal computer, application development, database design
Insurance coverages and rating schemes and insurance products
Company, agency and department practices and procedures
*Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization and with Agents
*Mathematical and statistical analysis
*Work well with others
*Respond well to demands on time and resources
*Organize time and resources and handle multiple high priorities
*Delegate, plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines
*Identify problems, research and evaluate alternatives, make recommendations and decisions, train personnel, and organize workflow
*Design and use computer programs
*Analyze Company business information needs and procedures