Company:NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
Prepares daily deposits and prints and mails outgoing checks for all companies. Responsible for coding and balancing all daily cash transactions for assigned companies, with minimal supervision. Performs special projects. Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Prepares deposits (i.e., incoming checks and cash) for all companies. Notifies appropriate personnel of checks received and to obtain approval for deposit (i.e., Structured Settlement Unit, Connecticut office, Underwriting Services, Agent Reconciliation Department, and others) and follows up as needed to minimize length of time checks are held and not deposited. Identifies restrictive check endorsement language, discusses with appropriate individuals, and follows up to resolve issues. Inputs information into deposit program and bank software (CEO) and prints reports. Documents procedures and trains and updates backups on new procedures as needed.
- Prints outgoing checks for all companies using purchased software, personal computer, and laser printer. Verifies number of checks printed and batch totals, obtains signatures for checks issued over facsimile limit, and organizes signed checks and remittance enclosures backup for mailing. Maintains log of all voided checks and record of dates for mailing structured settlement checks and assures all checks are mailed on correct dates in accordance with instructions provided by the individuals who approved issuance of the check. Documents procedures and trains and updates backups on new procedures as needed.
- May prepare summaries of daily cash transactions (i.e., cash memos) for Cash Manager. Receives documentation from Cash Manager, custodial banks, and Finance Assistant. Confers with Cash Manager and/or bank personnel about discrepancies in transaction documentation and makes any needed corrections. Assists Accounting Technicians with monthly balancing of certain cash activity.
- May code daily cash transactions (i.e. such as cash receipts and wire transfers) for assigned companies - including NICO Citibank foreign wires, with minimal supervision by assigning and/or verifying correct general ledger account numbers and required business and analysis unit (required business and analysis units could include up to 18 different data fields) and converted transactions with correct foreign currency rates. Enters coding information into Finance Systems - Cash Receipts/Wire Transfer program for assigned companies on a daily or weekly basis.
- Performs special projects such as compiling financial reports (i.e., cost accounting expenses and financial database research) or obtaining information from various records and transferring information onto personal computer. May proofread various reports to verify accuracy, research discrepancies, and determine course of action.
- Assists with preparation of electronic statutory quarterly or annual statements and electronic filings using computer software applications by entering data, verifying data is entered correctly, and printing annual and quarterly statements. May produce electronic filing for state filings (or may prepare Internet filing) and coordinate workflow.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent and two years college or equivalent
- Basic accounting
- Math through Algebra
- Personal computer and related software
- Alpha/numeric filing
- 1-2 years related work experience
- Bachelor degree in business administration or equivalent
- Insurance terminology
- Specific knowledge of certain company procedures and practices