Company:NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
Responsible for preparing, analyzing, and communicating the internal and external financial statements, working papers, and statistical and management information related to one or more companies and/or divisions.
- Coordinates, compiles, reviews, reconciles, and/or analyzes financial information from various sources and prepares working papers and financial statements and supplementary schedules for one or more companies, divisions and/or branches. This includes certain statutory annual statement schedules and separate GAAP basis financial statement packages for assigned companies or branches.
- Coordinates communication of daily, monthly, and year end, accounting, and financial statement information between various offices and Omaha. Responsible for review, analysis, and inquiries with respect to this information, including development and completion of management reports. Travels to various offices as needed to facilitate communication process and to gather information.
- Reviews and suggests improvements for the design and maintenance of various processes, reconciliations and databases utilized for financial reporting, and the balancing of reports or compilation of reports/worksheets by others and the assigning of codes to data for input to the general ledger system for accuracy and timeliness. Uses PC, and/or manual systems for development of and allocation of IBNR amounts, unallocated paid amounts, and other financial accruals and financial estimates.
- Develops and maintains PC program applications using spreadsheet and/or database software to create processing systems and specific worksheets and databases used to meet various job duties. Develops and uses or coordinates use of downloaded PC databases from mainframe computer systems data as needed.
- Maintains current working knowledge of related insurance accounting and financial reporting developments by researching (reading related materials) and discussing with others.
- Responds to inquiries from internal and external auditors, state regulators, and others regarding financial transactions, balances, and procedures.
- Performs special projects or related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :(*minimum qualifications needed to perform essential job function)
*Bachelor degree in business administration, accounting, or related field or equivalent
*General accounting principles
*Personal computer, related software, and basic applications such as Excel and Word
*2-3 years related work experience
Knowledge of financial reporting
Company and department practices and procedures
Statutory accounting principles
Basic investment terminology
*Excellent written and oral communication with all levels of management
*Work accurately with detail
*Delegate, plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines
*Work independently or as a member of a team as situation dictates
*Identify and solve problems
*Work overtime during seasonal demand
*Maintain strict confidentiality
*Compile, review, and analyze financial information
*Train others in work procedures