NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
*Candidates must be local and able to work in Omaha for at least 2 semesters while taking on a full-time course load.*
National Indemnity Company (NICO) is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, boasting the highest possible financial strength rating by A.M. Best. Backed by a wealth of experience, NICO offers one of the widest selections of commercial insurance products in the industry and the stability that agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
This internship will give the qualified candidate an opportunity to obtain valuable experience in accounting and finance. Duties involve collaborating with others as well as working independently and may include the following:
- Actively review and audit accounting process with a focus onÂ inter-company balances.
- Assist with the preparation of various schedules needed for annual financial statements and to meet new reporting requirements.
- Complete monthly/quarterly accounts receivable reconciliations and other selected general ledger account reconciliations as needed.
- Assist with the cash reconciliations and general ledger coding.
- Collaborate with others to assist with compiling information for management, auditors, and accountants.
- Ad hoc Internet research, spreadsheet preparation, some clerical responsibilities such as filing, copying, scanning and data organization.
- Assists with gathering information, updating files and other miscellaneous tasks related to the company's conversion to a new general ledger system.
During this internship, the student will learn:
- To map accounts receivable workflows and outline procedural gaps
- To challenge process and assist in driving change
- To query the general ledger, reconcile accounts and discuss results with management
- To work independently in a professional business environment
- Junior class standing or completion of Intermediate Accounting
- Accounting, Math, I.T. or Finance major and maintain full-time course load during Spring and Fall semesters Proficiency with personal computers and software such as Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Word
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and oral / written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
Hours:Â Â Â
Flexible between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
20-25+ hours per week depending on the applicant's schedule
More hours available in Summer (up to 40 hours per week)
$13.00 per hour and up
1314 Douglas Street (Omaha World-Herald Building)
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.